Cockerel with swollen face and respiratory illness

asterisk

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2023
My rooster, about 4 and a half months old has had a respiratory illness for a couple weeks now, all sneezy and wheezy, he's on electrolyte supplements and vet rx as of the moment, and I use a bit of Vaseline on what seems to be some strain of dry pox, poor guy's so sick! He's been kept away from the others since the sickness began, and has been acting downright lethargic, taking naps at any chance he gets, uncharacteristic for his bubbly and energetic personality. He's lost weight but has thankfully been eating and drinking fine. His pox are slowly getting better, but his face swelled up huge today, making me think that this is infectious coryza. Are there any tips on how to make the recovery a bit more comfortable for him? His eye looks like it's taking a lot of strain from the drainage :( The local rainy conditions don't help, but he's kept in a warm enclosure when he's feeling tired. He's a strong boy, and I'm sure he'll recover fine!

Also, thank you for bearing with me, this is the third time I've posted about this guy being hurt, he seems to be injury prone :(

Attachments

• tempImageTsuafi.png
    tempImageTsuafi.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 45
  • tempImage9R26NT.png
    tempImage9R26NT.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
Hello!!
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this!
Im sorry I don't know what is going on with him. Hopefully someone can help you soon!
Again I'm really sorry I don't know how to help :hugs

My rooster, about 4 and a half months old has had a respiratory illness for a couple weeks now, all sneezy and wheezy, he's on electrolyte supplements and vet rx as of the moment, and I use a bit of Vaseline on what seems to be some strain of dry pox

His pox are slowly getting better, but his face swelled up huge today, making me think that this is infectious coryza.
What does the inside of his beak look like?

I would apply Iodine to the Fowl Pox scabs on the wattle, comb and beak.

He has quite a swelling around the eye, are you noticing a bad odor? What makes you think Infectious Coryza instead of Mycoplasma?
I see some bubbles in the eye which could indicate Mycoplasma...

The eye needs to be flushed with saline, the pus pressed from the sinus and eye. Apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye.

For Mycoplasma, treatment is with Tylosin. For Infectious Coryza treatment is with a Sulfa Antibiotic, so you really need to access which disease you think he's suffering from so you can treat him properly.
Having some testing may be the best option. Do keep in mind that most respiratory diseases are contagious and make birds carriers for life. Here's some reading about poultry diseases. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044

Sounds like the poor little guy has been through a lot. Hopefully you can get him healed up.

Hello!!
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this!
Im sorry I don't know what is going on with him. Hopefully someone can help you soon!
Again I'm really sorry I don't know how to help :hugs
Aww it's okay!! thanks for the support :hugs

What does the inside of his beak look like?

I would apply Iodine to the Fowl Pox scabs on the wattle, comb and beak.

He has quite a swelling around the eye, are you noticing a bad odor? What makes you think Infectious Coryza instead of Mycoplasma?
I see some bubbles in the eye which could indicate Mycoplasma...

The eye needs to be flushed with saline, the pus pressed from the sinus and eye. Apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye.

For Mycoplasma, treatment is with Tylosin. For Infectious Coryza treatment is with a Sulfa Antibiotic, so you really need to access which disease you think he's suffering from so you can treat him properly.
Having some testing may be the best option. Do keep in mind that most respiratory diseases are contagious and make birds carriers for life. Here's some reading about poultry diseases. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044

Sounds like the poor little guy has been through a lot. Hopefully you can get him healed up.
I can't thank you enough for these resources, and the help (again)!!

There's no abnormalities in his beak, though I admit getting a glance was difficult. From the little research and knowledge I have I thought infectious coryza seemed to fit his description well, though I will look further into both. His eye appears to be getting itchier, and the swelling hasn't gone down, but I'll be sure to try the things you recommended. And yes, he is very stinky, he has the infamous sick chicken smell, and sits with a hunch everywhere he goes. Thanks again for the help!!

Last edited:
I can't thank you enough for these resources, and the help (again)!!

There's no abnormalities in his beak, though I admit getting a glance was difficult. From the little research and knowledge I have I thought infectious coryza seemed to fit his description well, though I will look further into both. His eye appears to be getting itchier, and the swelling hasn't gone down, but I'll be sure to try the things you recommended. And yes, he is very stinky, he has the infamous sick chicken smell, and sits with a hunch everywhere he goes. Thanks again for the help!!
The pus needed to be removed from the eyes in order for them to go down.
If there's a bad foul odor, then lean toward Infectious Coryza.
Tylosin and the Sulfa antibiotic can be used together if you wish.

Back
Top Bottom