Cocoa bean hulls??

thet-bone

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Greetings!

Does anyone out there know if cocoa bean hulls for litter would be harmful to 2 week old broiler chicks? Yeah, I know, everything (including the air) is harmful to broilers!! I am concerned as my husband is a small animal veterinarian and he does not want me to use these as he knows it would kill a dog if it ingested it.

Thanks!

T-Bone

Quote:
I don't know the answer to your question, sorry. I do know that a lot of things that are toxic to one species is edible to another -- goats are used to graze off poison ivy, for example (yes, I know that's technically an allergy, not a toxin).

But, can I ask, why do you want to use cocoa beans as a litter? They're awfully expensive. I know they smell nice, but I don't think that they will overpower the manure smell.

I found this -- its sort of generic, though, kind of just says "toxic to pets" = but it is called Avian Web, so you may want to err on the side of caution and avoid them.

http://www.avianweb.com/toxicplants.html

I would not use cocoa bean hulls IMHO. The toxicity for pets in general is well known, why take the chance with your chickens?

Agreed - I wouldn't consider cocoa bean hulls as bedding material. Honestly, I won't even use them as mulch in a garden - in case a dog visits. Besides, aren't they ridiculously expensive?
hu.gif

Not quite the same, but we are using coffee bean chaff with no problems. Currently it is mixed with pine shavings, but I hope to use more or all coffee chaff when they go outside. And the reasons for using it is to re-use something that would otherwise be thrown away, and also it is free.

cool.png

Thanks for all the good words! No...cocoa bean hulls are cheap up here in that Nestle's is only 200 miles away. In fact, it's the same price as the pine bark mulch. The "toxic" molecule in chocolate is nearly the same as that in coffee...hmmmmmmmm.
ya.gif
I just like the lightness of the hulls (& chocolatey goodness!) and the idea
thumbsup.gif
that I'm recycling something. I shouldn't have any worries about recycling in that we own 16 horses and we "recycle" manure all
bow.gif
the time!

Thanks again!

T-Bone

hugs.gif
96 chickens, down to 2 dogs, 7 cats, 16 horses (expecting 3 foals any time), a small business
yippiechickie.gif
, and One
caf.gif
Hubby! Jesus first in all things!!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom