I don't feed, never fed, layer. Partly because I have a roo, but also because I want the higher percentage of protein of an all flock feed. I have OS and eggshell on the side.

The stuff I buy is crumble; they ignore the fines that fall to the bottom of the bowl. I save those in another container and use them for mid-afternoon snack, which is that wetted into a mash. They LOVE it. Won't eat the fines, love the mash. Silly chickens.

I don't feed, never fed, layer. Partly because I have a roo, but also because I want the higher percentage of protein of an all flock feed. I have OS and eggshell on the side.

The stuff I buy is crumble; they ignore the fines that fall to the bottom of the bowl. I save those in another container and use them for mid-afternoon snack, which is that wetted into a mash. They LOVE it. Won't eat the fines, love the mash. Silly chickens.
This got me thinking, would all flock be better or would layer be better with mine? I have 4 hens, and can’t have roosters because I’m in town.
Ive been seeing that people think there is a lot of waste to feeding crumble vs pellets 😕

This got me thinking, would all flock be better or would layer be better with mine? I have 4 hens, and can’t have roosters because I’m in town.
Ive been seeing that people think there is a lot of waste to feeding crumble vs pellets 😕
All flock generally has higher protein and the hens can decide how many oyster shells they need for calcium. My hens are different ages and don’t lay the same amount or size of eggs.
You can cut down on waste by wetting the fines and treating them to porridge. You will have more fines with a crumble than a pellet, at least that’s what I noticed.

Good morning everyone! I’m rushing the coffee a little this morning. I agreed to keep my friend’s grandkids company while she’s getting her knees x-rayed. I hope it’s not one of those no good deed goes unpunished things! These two have been abandoned by their mother and the dad just broke up with a crazy girlfriend so they desperately need stability. She was going to bring folding chairs so they could sit in the parking lot but I couldn’t stand the thought of them out there like that.

Good morning everyone! I’m rushing the coffee a little this morning. I agreed to keep my friend’s grandkids company while she’s getting her knees x-rayed. I hope it’s not one of those no good deed goes unpunished things! These two have been abandoned by their mother and the dad just broke up with a crazy girlfriend so they desperately need stability. She was going to bring folding chairs so they could sit in the parking lot but I couldn’t stand the thought of them out there like that.
Bless you for helping.

Ok I’m back! The kids ended up being just fine, they wanted to go to the Goodwill store, boy was it crowded! The boy is 12 and the girl is 10, but they are so tall everyone thinks they’re much older. They were just fine, we had a good time! The girl bought her dad a coffee maker for his birthday. She said he loves coffee but doesn’t have one since they moved out of the crazy girlfriend’s house. I thought that was nice!

I feed pellets, but add a little water - if they don’t eat it all, it sours and has to be tossed, so I have to really know what they will eat in a day. Right now, only one hen that eats between 1/2 cup and 3/4 cup a day. I hate throwing out sour feed.

I have fed flock raiser crumble for 7+ years...with OS in a separate feeder for the active layers(there's always some birds not laying-chicks, molters, cock/erels).
Never had much trouble with leftover 'dust', they eat it up.
Took me a couple iterations to come up with a feeder that deterred billing out:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-waste-free-funnel-bucket-feeder.67218/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom