Coffee's ready...

caf.gif
It's officially summer - just heard the first cicada, and for lunch I will be having the first BLT from my garden. The fact that it is supposed to reach 90 F with humidity of 65% just serves to confirm the fact.

I've barely gotten 2 cups of Red Currants and a cup of black berries.

No lettuce got planted only tomatoes. They're not doing so well considering they got planted late. Garlic is always a good crop.

I am tired. Next year I will be home in the spring. Barring any major events that need tending to down south or up north.

Did I mention DS and his will be transferred to Alaska.

Why do we poor get kids who press us to travel? I have yet to go to Florida. Never made it to Germany and now Alaska? Good grief!

I haven't seen the grandkids in nearly two years. At least his.

Grandkids far away is NO fun. Finally daughter and hers are within an hour drive. Son and his are 3 hours away. Good excuse to go to Alaska.

Good morning everyone,
I hope this finds everyone doing well and enjoying the summer as best as possible. It's been a while since I have been here. Between the honeydew list, shop, garden and daughters, it's been a crazy season. I wont bore you with the details.

@rancher hicks how was your garlic? First time growing this year for me. I pulled them the other day and have them hanging. "German Hardnecks"

One good thing, this year I was able to get some egg layers (5) speckle sussex and (7) wyandotte. I have 2 of the grumps left. Neither are laying, just watching over the the meaties. I had one sitting on a wooden egg for over 3 weeks before I moved her.

How's everyone doing?

Our granddaughter is 3 1/2 hrs away. The better half and our youngest daughter gab at least once every couple of days.....

Enjoy your days

Kaj

My garlic does well but as usual it's in raised beds or it would rot. Nothing else is doing good. I buy bulbs from the farmers market from a variety of sellers. I may save some of my own this year. I will pull the garlic perhaps next month. DW still has some from last year. She usually has enough.

My DD in Texas calls everyday to talk about the kids. They all usually call their mother. Unless it's a grampa story. My son not as much but the GK's do. DW is going to FL in a week.

My GS in Texas likes his eggs like Grampa, over easy and now won't eat cheap store bought syrup. Has to have Grampas syrup, real maple. I miss him.

I've hens sitting on eggs and just gave some of them Duck eggs a friend brought. I don't keep ducks and we've agreed she has to take any ducklings that hatch. I do have four chicks in the brooder and hope for a few more. Maran and Delawares, but there will be a few EE's.

I've lost a couple of Delaware hens this past couple of months to unknown reasons.

Morning people,
Had one of those cool great sleeping weather nights last night. Makes it real hard to get out of the bed.I awoke to 56 this morning.

Some people said I pulled the garlic a bit early..... There is a good garlic festival every year across the river. The theme is garlic, anything and everything made from garlic you can find there. If we were around, we would usually get garlic there. The problem we have, it didn't last much past Dec/Jan before it started going bad.

@rancher hicks You make your own syrup? I use to a long time ago. My nephew makes it now.
caf.gif
Rainy, hot and humid - AGAIN!

I hate to say it, but yesterday was one of those days were it would have been nice to hang out and swing in a hammock all day. Today feels like a continuation of the same. We had 3 days before that was hot and humid, hard to breath days.

Enjoy your day,

Kaj

Morning people,
Had one of those cool great sleeping weather nights last night. Makes it real hard to get out of the bed.I awoke to 56 this morning.

Some people said I pulled the garlic a bit early..... There is a good garlic festival every year across the river. The theme is garlic, anything and everything made from garlic you can find there. If we were around, we would usually get garlic there. The problem we have, it didn't last much past Dec/Jan before it started going bad.

@rancher hicks You make your own syrup? I use to a long time ago. My nephew makes it now.

I hate to say it, but yesterday was one of those days were it would have been nice to hang out and swing in a hammock all day. Today feels like a continuation of the same. We had 3 days before that was hot and humid, hard to breath days.

Enjoy your day,

Kaj

did you hang it to dry. I wash my garlic bulbs and then leave them to dry in the sun. If it's rainy I hang it in the garage. DW keeps it in a bowl on the counter. You can of course hang it in the house too.

Too, you can preserve garlic in Olive oil. I'm sure there are other ways to keep it.

Morning people,

@rancher hicks - yep I have the garlic hanging in the shed. Here's a picture after I pulled them.

I am hoping for a good crop of tomatoes to make sauce/gravy using the a good part of the garlic. Next year we are going to grow more.

Our potato leaves/stalks are starting to turn yellowish and drying on the the tips of the leaves. First time for these for me. Funny thing, I am not suppose to eat them, or eat them in such a small qty that it's not worth cooking.

Enjoy your day

Kaj

Morning people,

@rancher hicks - yep I have the garlic hanging in the shed. Here's a picture after I pulled them.

I am hoping for a good crop of tomatoes to make sauce/gravy using the a good part of the garlic. Next year we are going to grow more.

Our potato leaves/stalks are starting to turn yellowish and drying on the the tips of the leaves. First time for these for me. Funny thing, I am not suppose to eat them, or eat them in such a small qty that it's not worth cooking.

Enjoy your day

Kaj

Those look to be a good size. I'd be happy with those.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom