Cohabitating with other animals

Nkelly

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 4, 2015
This might be a stupid question but I'm still gonna ask it. I have goats and we are working on getting chicken that will be co habitating. Occasional we have to de-worm the goats and I read that chickens will go through other animal dropping for any undigested grain. Will the de-wormer make the chickens sick??

This might be a stupid question but I'm still gonna ask it. I have goats and we are working on getting chicken that will be co habitating. Occasional we have to de-worm the goats and I read that chickens will go through other animal dropping for any undigested grain. Will the de-wormer make the chickens sick??

Safeguard liquid for cattle or goats is one of the best wormers you can use on your chickens, which will also need wormed. It will not hurt them at all, unfortunately ingesting it second hand
lau.gif
will not be enough to worm the chickens, they will need their own dose.

shouldn't...they don't usually eat the whole poop, and the wormer in that small amount should not hurt the birds. :)

oh, and it's good to ask! no question is totally stupid...asking is how we all learn!!

The responders above are correct that this will not hurt the chickens, nor will it be enough to deworm them. It would be wise to treat the chickens individually, as imbibing small amounts of second-hand dewormer may help to contribute to dewormer resistance. Exposure to dewormers (or any medication) at lower than effective concentrations is what allows parasites/pathogens to develop resistance.

The responders above are correct that this will not hurt the chickens, nor will it be enough to deworm them.  It would be wise to treat the chickens individually, as imbibing small amounts of second-hand dewormer may help to contribute to dewormer resistance.  Exposure to dewormers (or any medication) at lower than effective concentrations is what allows parasites/pathogens to develop resistance.

Thank you. I don't deworm my goats all the time. Depending on how often I leave them out determines how often I deworm them. 3 to 4 times a year. (I live near the woods and we always have animals around) I'm planning on deworming all animals goats and chickens together so as to not cause resistance. Thank you again for you time and input.

Back
Top Bottom