Cohabitating with other animals

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by Nkelly, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Nkelly

Nkelly Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2015
    This might be a stupid question but I'm still gonna ask it. I have goats and we are working on getting chicken that will be co habitating. Occasional we have to de-worm the goats and I read that chickens will go through other animal dropping for any undigested grain. Will the de-wormer make the chickens sick??

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Safeguard liquid for cattle or goats is one of the best wormers you can use on your chickens, which will also need wormed. It will not hurt them at all, unfortunately ingesting it second hand [​IMG] will not be enough to worm the chickens, they will need their own dose.

3. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    shouldn't...they don't usually eat the whole poop, and the wormer in that small amount should not hurt the birds. :)

oh, and it's good to ask! no question is totally stupid...asking is how we all learn!!

4. Nkelly

Jan 4, 2015

Ha Ha, nicely put! Thank you both for the help. I really appreciate it!

5. DrMikelleRoeder

DrMikelleRoeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    The responders above are correct that this will not hurt the chickens, nor will it be enough to deworm them. It would be wise to treat the chickens individually, as imbibing small amounts of second-hand dewormer may help to contribute to dewormer resistance. Exposure to dewormers (or any medication) at lower than effective concentrations is what allows parasites/pathogens to develop resistance.

6. Nkelly

Jan 4, 2015

Thank you. I don't deworm my goats all the time. Depending on how often I leave them out determines how often I deworm them. 3 to 4 times a year. (I live near the woods and we always have animals around) I'm planning on deworming all animals goats and chickens together so as to not cause resistance. Thank you again for you time and input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by