Col. Wyandottes and EE/mix gender question.

fshinggrl

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
the edge of insanity
Ok, when I picked up 3 chicks at a local farm/garden store, I got two "Columbian Wyandottes and one EE." They were all supposed to be wyandottes. So, I am just curious to see if you think these are Col. wyandottes. They seem to have the rose comb (pretty non existant at this point) like Wyandottes are supposed to have. They are supposed to be pullets. They are probably about 7/8 weeks old.
29942_columbian_wyandottes.jpg

Then I hatched this EE (green egg) out on April 23rd making it about 6 weeks old. The father could have been an EE/barnyard mix or a D'uccle banty. Any guesses? And there is a comb shot because I do wonder gender. S/he is smaller than the other chickens and just recently started growing the tail (so yes, I have my suspicions as to gender, but want another opinion).
29942_ee_body.jpg

comb
29942_comb.jpg

Thank you!!!

The two do look like columbian Wyandottes. The other one I would guess is an EE/D'Uccle cross. A single combed bird crossed with a pea combed bird will can give you a funky kind of halfway between type comb like your chick seems to be developing. Also, the chick has feathered legs and a really decent beard/muffs. The stance looks similar to a D'Uccle too.

I should have added to my post that the EE/backyard mix that could be the dad had feathered legs as well. But, this chick is a bit smaller that it's hatchlings (Welsummers) so my first thought was the d'uccle too. Guesses on gender or is it too early.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom