Cold Feet

FHF ChickenMom

Chirping
Jul 24, 2017
South Wales, NY
Ok, wasn't sure which forum topic to post this under so I did the best I could. So, what about their feet in the cold weather. It was just about 31 degrees Sat. morning and my girl was already standing on one foot at a time and remembered reading about a injured chicken where the owner wrapped her feet to keep them warm during the trauma. I'm thinking that chickens provided with good nutrition and a dry, draft-free coop to gather in is the answer. Thoughts?

You're correct. A healthy chicken with the right nutrition and proper shelter should be fine in cold weather. However, if it's really very chilly (for example if it was snowing) I'd recommend giving them some warm food like oatmeal or porridge. :)

I'm thinking that chickens provided with good nutrition and a dry, draft-free coop to gather in is the answer. Thoughts?
Really no need to worry much about chickens feet in cold weather,
unless it get down to -F temps. Windchill and walking on ice can be a concern, but as long as they can get in to the dry, draft free coop they can take care of themselves.

Warm food, sweaters, heaters, and wrapped feet are more for the keepers than the chickens..and some of those 'comforts' can actually be detrimental to the birds.
Sweaters keep them from fluffing their feathers to hold the heat, warm food can cause condensation on faces, wattles, and combs, creating a perfect storm for frostbite in cold temps.

Most important 'extra' things for winter are liquid water that's easy for keeper and birds alike, and good ventilation without feather ruffling drafts near roost area-folks tend want to tighten up coop to 'hold heat' which is a big mistake.

Bunch of threads on chickens in cold winter climes.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...&t=post&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=2

You're correct. A healthy chicken with the right nutrition and proper shelter should be fine in cold weather. However, if it's really very chilly (for example if it was snowing) I'd recommend giving them some warm food like oatmeal or porridge. :)
Tried the warm bowl of oatmeal.....eh, peck here, peck there...not so much. LOL They do get a wide variety diet with good quality feed and always clean fresh water. Coops (yes, three chickens have two coops...soon to be three as the third will be larger and inside the barn for added protection from the weather) The have it rough. ;)

Many of my birds are penned under stars during dead of winter, even when it is windy and -F. Wind blocking is rudimentary but wooden roost is positioned to take advantage of the wind block. I also put out leaves of hay or stray the birds can stand on rather than the snow / ice. The outside birds are simply being maintained.

The hens producing eggs are in a relatively open barn. The larger coops there each have hay bails, intact and busted, placed on floor. The hay provides lots of surface area that not only does not conduct heat away from feet as much, it also provides a soft cushy mass the birds can hunker down on. When it is cold the birds adopt a mind set that is all about staying warm.

Back
Top Bottom