Cold snap tradgedy

aw thats terrible, good for you to standing up for the chickens though. Some people need the embarrassment and kick in the pants before they do something.

Perhaps if your neighbor doesn't build a coop, you could offer to shelter the chickens for him? Who knows, he might be glad to be rid of them since he obviously doesn't care that much about them??
It would solve the problem, Sue

some places have been pretty cold, so why couldn't they die from the cold, all that snow and no shelter? i'm not an expert but it seems likely. Sub zero temps in some areas I think.

Quote:
I have one Rosecombed Bantam and he is so cute. He never sleeps in the coop with the others. The run is secure and I have a high perch outside. He is the first one on the perch in the evening and he starts crowing as if to tell everyone to get inside. He is also the first one crowing in the morning. He seems to be the guard. No animal deserves to die cold and hungry when humans are supposed to be taking care of them.

Last edited:
It was 18 below zero the first night, and at least 10 to 20 below the next 2 nights. I don't know exactly when they died, but I am sure that exposure, no food and water for 3-4 days caused the bantie's deaths.

When I gave the remaining 7 food and water, the roosters literally dived into the food pan and laid down and started munching away...

My neighbor hung a heat lamp under a porch awning, later that day and they are now all huddling under it. I plan to go over this afternoon and see if we can provide a better solution. Thankfully this subzero weather is going to break and warm up by tomorrow!

I would hold off on bringing in the law. Maybe help him get the chickens a place to stay. Depending on the town you may be giving them ammo for future restrictions and stuff.

I would hold off on bringing in the law. Maybe help him get the chickens a place to stay. Depending on the town you may be giving them ammo for future restrictions and stuff.
i agree, and they may just not know better. help your neighbors people, dont jump to conclusions. educate , ask then tell.

That's what I thought too. He is a neighbor and it's always best to help a neighbor than rat on them. He is out of work, and as far as I can tell, on a meager income. I just hope he will allow me to continue to help, and not be offended. I went over early this morning and the chickens were all huddled under the heat lamp. There are some frozen combs and wattles, I'm afraid. Looks like all 4 roosters have comb damage. The tips are black and there are alot of creamy white spots and streaking on the combs. doesn't look good... :(

One of the hens was missing. I am hoping she was in the horses stall with the horses. It was dark and I haven't been able to get back over during the day cuz of my job. Hopefully she's ok.

Back
Top Bottom