And i planted the Tundra Haskap shrub into the Berry garden:
First fruits on Tundras are ready to pick around here I don't think we have this particular bush but we do have its close relatives which are also in fruit (Wojtek I think? Some Polish ones anyway, Russia-Japan genetics).

This is usually also the first fruit overall in the season unless one has strawberries in a greenhouse (we used to but... somehow not anymore).

Oh it's gonna be an addiction for sure...

You say you make a safety hole as a rule, when is that roughly, which day after starting up the incubator?
As usually i break with all the rules: I don't lock-down the incubator.
Again, think as a Momma Duck: She won't lock down her nest but will continue to get up, go out, eat, drink, poop, bathe and throw a tantrum in the dux-yard even while her ducklings are hatching.
⇨ I continue to candle the eggs at an increasing rate the later in the development they are. [I am also very curious as a side-note…😳] - Which means if something goes wrong i have a chance to intercept.
As for the safety hole: If movement is clearly visible in the air chamber, either because the duckling has already pipped internally or is about to - the little bill is moving along the membrane between the eggs content and the air-bubble - it is time to make that hole.

First fruits on Tundras are ready to pick around here I don't think we have this particular bush but we do have its close relatives which are also in fruit (Wojtek I think? Some Polish ones anyway, Russia-Japan genetics).

This is usually also the first fruit overall in the season unless one has strawberries in a greenhouse (we used to but... somehow not anymore).
What i read on the German Wikipedia, that group of plant has some kind of a history behind it: They originated in the cold climates of Asia and North America and were slowly bred into a couple of distinct varieties. So in Europe the Siberian and Japanese varieties are dominant, whereas in the USA and Canada the home-turf grown and the Japanese varieties are more common.
From what i read in several sources for reasonable harvests cross-pollination is essential. So one needs to grow more than one variety.
The links to the nurseries you've sent me earlier offer a wide selection of different varieties for an even better price that the ferry of the tropical river charged me. Its just that all slots in the berry-garden are currently occupied…

Weather over here has been ridiculous, to say the least. Ups and downs all over the place. It's only going up to 7c today, but will be in the high teens the rest of the week. Our last frost date is usually not until later in May.
So we're a full month ahead of you here. Fortunately! I had enough winter… - People who lived their entire life here tell me that in the past it was common to have one last frosty night sometime in early May, but that has not happened for a long time.
This year it looked as if we were through with it by mid-April, but then we got one last lash:
1714498217667.png
...which killed some of my tomatoes, cucumbers and a zucchini i had already planted outside. And made the peppers throw away all their leaves.

Back
Top Bottom