Colder temps already?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SparksNV, Oct 27, 2010.

1. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    So it is about 28 degrees outside, beautiful clear skies - chickens are still locked up in coop but they are all in front of the window saying "let me out, let me out!" At what temp/weather (snow) do you keep your chickens in the coop all day? Mine have a protected area they can go to under the coop or they can always go back in the coop (although, they don't seem to understand that).

I guess it really doesn't matter - I just checked on them and the thermometer inside the coop says 24 degrees - so outside they go!

tia

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    At what temp? Never. I give them the choice. They always choose outside over being in the coop all day.

Even my juvenile birds are out and they are 20 weeks old today.

3. mgibbzzz

mgibbzzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Somerset, OH
    Same here. I always open the door and give them the option, in or out. 9 times out of 10 it is out.

4. imacreator

imacreator Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, ky.
    We had tornado conditions yesterday; 75 mph winds and heavy rain. Where do you think my girls chose to be? Yup; outdoors huddling under a cluster of vines on the fence. They came in a bit earlier, but I don't understand their choice. Today however, no eggs. No doubt it scared them to death.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    It can be 20 below and my birds will go out unless there is a foot or so of snow on the ground. The don't like pushing through that but, if they can get me to shovel paths then it would be ok. Yeah, right, like that's gonna happen.

6. justcelia

justcelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I am building an "upgraded" chicken tractor. My BF plowes "race tracks" for our Yorkie mix (otherwise whe "bottoms out!).
    Could we do the same for our hens? (will have only 2-3). Could we plow and area, let the sun melt it then move the tractor?
    I worry that the 4X6X3' high area will be to small for them to be cooped up all winter. SE Michigan.

Celia

7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Outside unless feet of snow...

Just winterized my pen yesterday after the temp. drop and WINDS. A few more bales of straw and we'll be fine!

8. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    We got six more inches of snow last night. I opened the coop door they all flooded out. Left the door open and they still stayed outside. This weather is nothing of what we have coming in the next few months. Might as well get them used to it.

9. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:Yep, I agree....

Mine have stayed in the last couple of days because of the wind, but last winter they were out even at 30 below.

10. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Much rather have them out in this weather then the 100+ degree heat. I'm sure they would too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by