Collecting Cool Rocks! Minerals, Crystals, Fossils, Geodes, etc.

My favorite is the t-shirt with 'Just One More Rock' written across it. Too fitting.

I haven't been out much this summer. I have found a few fossils in our driveway rock. Most of our area here in North Eastern Missouri was once upon a time a saline sea so there are plenty of mostly shell and coral fossils to be found in the rock.

One place I have been wanting to go is Keokuk Iowa where there are Geodes everywhere. With Covid afoot though it's been postponed till travel is safer.

My favorite is the t-shirt with 'Just One More Rock' written across it. Too fitting.

I haven't been out much this summer. I have found a few fossils in our driveway rock. Most of our area here in North Eastern Missouri was once upon a time a saline sea so there are plenty of mostly shell and coral fossils to be found in the rock.

One place I have been wanting to go is Keokuk Iowa where there are Geodes everywhere. With Covid afoot though it's been postponed till travel is safer.

Lol! I need to make that shirt for myself!
I had a Keokuk geode that was sent to me. It was solid pink calcite inside, I had the bright idea of cutting a piece and polishing it...it apparently wasn't as solid as it looked because the crystal structure fell apart while cutting. Oops!

Have you ever been walking through a park, on a hike, or walking down a beach when a rock caught your eye? One that seemed special enough that it couldn't be left behind? That's where rock collecting starts for many of us! People that go out to collect their own rocks are often called "Rock Hounds" but some of us can't stop at collecting rocks in our general area and start branching off buying, and trading rocks and minerals from all over the world!

I got the rock collecting bug really young when I kept small stones that I thought were pretty and especially loved smooth, shiny stones that had been rounded from time in the ocean as the waves and sand washed over them.

Now that I've been collecting for many years I've acquired some really interesting specimens. Including fluorescent and even phosphorescent stones and geodes!

I also find all of the different formations really interesting. The image below is all examples of clear quartz, a geode, clusters, points, and a tumbled stone. All very different formations and clarity, yet they are the same!

Some of my fossils and petrified wood.

View attachment 2445582
View attachment 2445653
View attachment 2445655

I would love to see some of what you collect too!

Have you ever been walking through a park, on a hike, or walking down a beach when a rock caught your eye? One that seemed special enough that it couldn't be left behind? That's where rock collecting starts for many of us! People that go out to collect their own rocks are often called "Rock Hounds" but some of us can't stop at collecting rocks in our general area and start branching off buying, and trading rocks and minerals from all over the world!

I got the rock collecting bug really young when I kept small stones that I thought were pretty and especially loved smooth, shiny stones that had been rounded from time in the ocean as the waves and sand washed over them.

Now that I've been collecting for many years I've acquired some really interesting specimens. Including fluorescent and even phosphorescent stones and geodes!

I also find all of the different formations really interesting. The image below is all examples of clear quartz, a geode, clusters, points, and a tumbled stone. All very different formations and clarity, yet they are the same!

Some of my fossils and petrified wood.

View attachment 2445582
View attachment 2445653
View attachment 2445655

I would love to see some of what you collect too!

Been collecting since I don't know when! I'll try and post some of my pics. And I have quite a few. My main obsession is fossils tho! Bear with me because i'm definitly not

computer compatible! IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0050.JPG As you can tell! LOL!!

Back
Top Bottom