COLLECTING EGGS How are your HENS REACTING?

Quote:
I have THREE STINKIN BROODIES right now, and they are bogarting the nest boxes for everyone else. My prize layer, Henwyn the Austrolorpe is now broody. What the heck is that about?

My hens could care less if I take their eggs, but I have a bantam cochin/D'uccle roo who throws himself at my face every time I venture near to do ANYTHING to the coop...including feeding and watering. Yeah, he's going to auction on Friday.
roll.png

Quote:
Mine do the same. I just found a clutch of a dozen eggs hidden behind the feed storage bin in the coop. I hadn't checked that spot in a week, but had been checking daily prior the the onset of laying. Oops! Yes, and mine cluck up a storm and chase after me when I have their eggs. Most of them let me reach under them when they are in the nest though, but if they really give me the eye, I skip it and wait until later. The first one to start laying chose a corner in the gravel driveway where the fence meets the garage. Others followed suit, but finally someone started laying in the nesting boxes and we started keeping them in a bit longer in the morning and they are all laying in the boxes (or at least in the coop!).

Last edited:
mine don't care even if I take them from under them. I've had two go broody, they both growled and one gave me a light peck once.

So far my girls don't seem to mind when I go in and get the eggs. I have yet to try to reach under them, i'm a little scared
big_smile.png

Mine don't care when I collect them unless they're in the nest--then they turn into the wicked hens of the south, puffing & pecking & squawking. My new head roo comes a-runnin' all puffed up when the girls start squawking. He's only almost flogged me once...but I think we cured that problem.

None of mine, Including my roo, Care at all but my eldest gives me puppy dog eyes (Or should it be chicky chicken eyes?) if she sees me carrying her eggs, Makes me feel guilty! But she still doesn't really care

Back
Top Bottom