Color genetics for a mixed flock (how can I tell which baby came from who?)

Managed to get some pics. They’re all jumping on top of each other so I’ll post a few. There are two ee/mystery chicks (pink legs, bonus if you can nail down breed, they may be purebred my friend gave them to me and didn’t know what they were), two orloff (big and brown) and three gold deathlayers (small leopard pattern with red head) as well so disregard those.

I will be keeping and growing out all. I have someone that wants a 55 flowery hen though so I just want to make sure I have at least a few 55 flowery mixes in there before I do that.

01B9A4FF-2889-4D95-A7AC-7ACB41E08CF6.jpeg

CEBBCC26-6962-427E-B08B-1554A7E6F81F.jpeg

393D7475-ADDD-4417-A661-74185848F4E4.jpeg

In a few days I’ll post more pictures.

The hedemora rooster doesn’t look like a “true” isabel to me, he looks more like a lavender gold birchen or a lavender with gold leakage. He should still produce black chicks with silver or gold leakage or mostly silver/gold chicks. However, I would not expect any gold duckwing-looking chicks from him.

The sons of the 55 flowery leghorn should have barring.
I’m just going by what I was told by the hedemora people. I’m the comment on the middle.

2FE7AF80-C6F1-40F3-B462-A4DA967AA722.jpeg

From the Svarthona rooster, you should get black chicks from all hens (they may show some amount of gold or silver leakage as they grow, or they may not.)

Since the Hedemora appears to have the lavender gene, which is recessive, none of his chicks should show that dilution unless their mother also carries it (unlikely, for those particulare hens.)

From the Hedemora rooster with the Fayoumi, I would expect sexliked chicks. Daughters will have some pattern of black and gold, sons will be black and silver. They will probably not have exactly the same pattern as the pure Fayoumi, or as the current Fayoumi-mix, but something a bit similar to one of those.

From the Hedemora rooster with the Fayoumi-mix hen, I would expect all chicks to show black and gold. Some may be patterned similar to their mother, some may be patterned similar to one or other of the mother's parents, some may have the colors arranged more like what their father has (but unlike him, their colors will not be diluted to pale shades.)

From the Hedemora rooster with the 55 flowery hen, I'll quote what I posted in the other thread, so it's all here together:
Here’s a head scratcher…it’s got feathered legs so hedemora dad.

A1428289-F8E5-4220-975D-C89E1E9E4F8E.jpeg

725B0976-E969-415F-B9EC-B4DE333AFB28.jpeg

Here’s a head scratcher…it’s got feathered legs so hedemora dad.
Looking at that comb, I'm guessing it's a male.
If it is male, and if the 55 Flowery hen has the barring gene, then she cannot be the mother.
If it is male, and it is showing gold (dark brown), then the Fayoumi cannot be the mother either (because her sons would show silver).

So if it is male, it must come from the Fayoumi-cross hen who shows gold and does not have barring.

But a female could be gold and not-barred from any of those hens, so if it is female, then I don't know who the mother would be.

interesting. The head scratcher I was referring to was the white feathers. I was thinking it was the 55 only because the patterning seems random (thee head spot and the white feathers).
Some chickens just do get white feathers like that when they are young. It seems especially common in black chickens, but I expect it could happen in any color. If it goes away when the chick grows up, I would just shrug it off as something weird, and not try to find much meaning in it.

My Hedemora hen and rooster don't have aggressive feathering.
I don't know what you mean by "aggressive feathering." It's not a term I've encountered before.

Back
Top Bottom