Color genetics for a mixed flock (how can I tell which baby came from who?)

TwistedTayy

Songster
Apr 30, 2021
Douglasville, GA
So I have two roosters, a lemon blue (Isabel) fibro Hedemora and a Svarthona. I can tell (for the most part) which chick is from which Daddy because the Hedemora throws feathered legs. But the hens are a little different. What colors should I be looking for as they age? (they are all dark puff balls right now). I am especially curious about the 55 flowery. I know a couple of the eggs that hatched were for sure from them. But I would have expected the babies from that cross to be light colored.

Hedemora:
20220708-_L0A4424.jpg

Svarthona
20220608-_L0A3264.jpg

Hen 1 (Fayoumi)
20220608-3L0A3246.jpg

hen 2 (Fayoumi x Green Queen Bantam (ext black))
(Ill ETA pic from my phone but similar to the fayoumi except gold instead of silver)

Hens 3-5 (55 Flowery)
20220608-_L0A3252.jpg

So I have two roosters, a lemon blue (Isabel) fibro Hedemora and a Svarthona. I can tell (for the most part) which chick is from which Daddy because the Hedemora throws feathered legs. But the hens are a little different. What colors should I be looking for as they age? (they are all dark puff balls right now).
From the Svarthona rooster, you should get black chicks from all hens (they may show some amount of gold or silver leakage as they grow, or they may not.)

Since the Hedemora appears to have the lavender gene, which is recessive, none of his chicks should show that dilution unless their mother also carries it (unlikely, for those particulare hens.)

From the Hedemora rooster with the Fayoumi, I would expect sexliked chicks. Daughters will have some pattern of black and gold, sons will be black and silver. They will probably not have exactly the same pattern as the pure Fayoumi, or as the current Fayoumi-mix, but something a bit similar to one of those.

From the Hedemora rooster with the Fayoumi-mix hen, I would expect all chicks to show black and gold. Some may be patterned similar to their mother, some may be patterned similar to one or other of the mother's parents, some may have the colors arranged more like what their father has (but unlike him, their colors will not be diluted to pale shades.)

From the Hedemora rooster with the 55 flowery hen, I'll quote what I posted in the other thread, so it's all here together:
with the 55 flowery hen I would expect chicks that show black and gold, maybe resembling the color called "Black Breasted Red" or "Gold Duckwing." Or maybe looking like Wheaten instead (different hen color, pretty much the same rooster color.) The chicks will carry both lavender (from the father) and mottling (from the mother), but will not show either one.

What colors should I be looking for as they age? (they are all dark puff balls right now). I am especially curious about the 55 flowery. I know a couple of the eggs that hatched were for sure from them. But I would have expected the babies from that cross to be light colored.
I would also expect chicks from that cross to be light colored (gold or yellow, possibly with stripes like a chipmunk.)

So either you & I are both predicting it wrong, or you mixed up which eggs came from which hen, or you got the eggs right but the other rooster had managed to mate with her. I suppose we'll see as they chicks grow up.

The hedemora rooster doesn’t look like a “true” isabel to me, he looks more like a lavender gold birchen or a lavender with gold leakage. He should still produce black chicks with silver or gold leakage or mostly silver/gold chicks. However, I would not expect any gold duckwing-looking chicks from him.

The sons of the 55 flowery leghorn should have barring.

Looking at that comb, I'm guessing it's a male.
If it is male, and if the 55 Flowery hen has the barring gene, then she cannot be the mother.
If it is male, and it is showing gold (dark brown), then the Fayoumi cannot be the mother either (because her sons would show silver).

So if it is male, it must come from the Fayoumi-cross hen who shows gold and does not have barring.

But a female could be gold and not-barred from any of those hens, so if it is female, then I don't know who the mother would be.
interesting. The head scratcher I was referring to was the white feathers. I was thinking it was the 55 only because the patterning seems random (thee head spot and the white feathers). The comb does look very large though.

The foot feathering from the Hedemora babies is even more extreme than the Hedemora roo had as a baby. Im not crazy about that I was depending on it getting lighter so I doubt ill keep any Hedemora babies if that's the case. My Hedemora hen and rooster don't have aggressive feathering.

Back
Top Bottom