Color genetics questions with pictures

siimis

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
Hi all,

I have a mixed lot of pantam cochins and some mixes that I don't know what color they are. I hope you can help me?

This is a new roo I got, I don't know anything of his parentage
DSC03464.jpg

This one is sister
DSC03453.jpg

to this one
DSC03452.jpg

Same as last one (on the background) with a similar but more yellow mix. What is the difference in their genes..?
DSC03448.jpg

What about this one. What makes her so dark?
DSC03503.jpg

More photos of my chickens at http://kyyhkyt.siimis.net/kanat.html.

I appreciate any input!
smile.png

Tries to be partridge
big_smile.png
I have partridge and she doesn't look the same. She's way darker and has more black in her.

the black is colored right
the third is a porcelean color of sorts

the dark yellow as you call it is mixed coloring and is a buff with a wry tail which is a DQ
and all the others are just colored chickens
not actual varieties

you need to buy a ABA standard for the color pattrns of cochins
here is some information on them

Cochin (chicken) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Colour varieties include buff, black, partridge, blue, silver laced, splash, golden laced, and white. Cochins also come in a variety called frizzled, ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochin_(chicken) - Cached - Similar pages

any questions email me

Well, as I'm living in Finland, there's no one to DQ my birds, as we don't have shows or standards. I don't know if I have any use for ABA standard either?

What I'd like to know is what is the genetic makeup of these birds. Just to know how to breed them to get some nice an maybe new (in Finland) colors. And to avoid getting the ugly ones
wink.png

DSC03464.jpg

This is a het silver (=golden) columbian. e^b Co/co+ S/s+

DSC03453.jpg

Looks like a light lavender with a rusty head. E/? lav/lav s+

DSC03452.jpg

Looks like lavender/isabel birchen. Gold based birchen with lavender dilution. E^R/? lav/lav s+

DSC03448.jpg

Looks like isabel het columbian. e^b Co/co+ lav/lav s+

DSC03503.jpg

Looks like a melanized partridge/pencilled. e^b Pg/? s+ plus melanizer(s)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! Just the type of information I was looking for
smile.png

What makes the roo's brest so light? Shouldn't it be darker with those genes?

The white chicken, I noticed she has few grey feathers in her tail. One actually shows in the photo. Could she be a golden based splash birchen..? The blue & yellow one is her sister, she is actually a bit darker than in the photo. A light blue golden based birchen perhaps?

I have never had any lavenders, so I don't know how it should look like.

The light breast is the dominance of silver over gold.
The brassy hackles is the remaining leakage of gold and/or other red factors.
He is very typical looking.
DSC_0272.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg

They could be splash/blue, but they look very clean.

On that note- Henk69, are you aware of Blbl birds showing a splashed appearence? I have a blue longtail hen, her body base color is a medium-light grey and has very obvious dark spots/flecks all over her.. if I didn't know better would have regarded her as a splash. But only her father had Bl (genotype Blbl). Mother is a cuckoo. Is this something that happens regularly..? Have not bred blues for very long, so far all Blbl birds have even color(in unrelated birds) so this hen is confusing me a little bit.

p.s. had considered the possiblity the mother was a not-obvious blue cuckoo, however none of the other full siblings were splashed, and came out in the expected 1/2 blue 1/2 not blue combination plus this hen bred to another blbl rooster previously produced no blues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom