Color genetics thread.

Phenotype would be a white marans, genotype would be a golden cuckoo with recessive white.

My F0 Golden cuckoo marans rooster carried recessive white. Last year I would get a white 'sport' or two from some hatches. I haven't bred it out yet, as I was wanting to work with a few whites. But the gold gene was giving some leakage on the males.

I don't have any pics of roosters, but here is a hen I kept with her barred sisters:

And her with her brother that I test mated to see if he carried the recessive gene:
I would suggest that you use birds that are sex-linked silver to cross with the whites. Most recessive white birds do not have a problem with the gold allele expressing color in the plumage, I have read some research and the researchers did discover a recessive white allele that was leaky. If it is a leaky recessive white it would be best to breed in sex-linked silver. You may get it from your black birds or use a cuckoo (non-golden)

the white in the hackles is due to sex-linked silver. Your bird appears to be extended black at the E locus and is missing the melanotic gene which would cover the white in your bird.

So if it's silver sex linked how does it affect the male and female differently? One of the 3 chicks from that hen looked silver so that makes sense. And cause the hen was a solid black hamburg would it have come from a silver spangled?

This one from the same black hamburg looked silver when it was born. Is that what the sex-linked silver is?

@summerb123

Hello! One of my blue colored easter egger girls dashed out of the coop when I opened the door to feed them. Before I could get her back in the pen she bred with my Polish rooster. Well, since I had been gathering eggs to hatch anyway, I took a chance that one chick would be his. Sure enough! They had a baby.
Since this is the genetics thread, I'll toss a little info out here. :)

The dad is buff color so he is dominant white (dominant white reacts to the gold to make him buff ) and laced. He has 2 copies of crest gene. He has a V-comb and the gene that suppresses comb size (not sure what it's called).

The mom is extended black (I think she has only one copy but I'm not entirely sure), she has one copy of the splash gene to make her blue instead of black. One copy of the pea comb and no copies of rose comb.

The chicks is Extended black (as evidenced by the his few spots), not sure yet if he has the splash gene. I'll know as he grows and his spots show up as black or blue. The one copy of dominant white covers the black/blue coloring from his mom. it LOOKS like the baby has a straight comb that splits in two half way up, but it is very difficult to tell at this point. Oh, and I am about 75% sure it's a boys. Not sure why, just a sense.

Last edited:
@Berryblue

Red rooster + silver hen = silver sons

I am pretty sure that silver rooster = red hen would give you silvers and reds of both genders.
others can correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope that helps.
smile.png

Yes, sex linked silver is located on the Z chromosome so the hen only passes it to her sons. When a rooster is silver he passes it onto both gender offspring.

So the female from the black hamburg with silver x white rooster is just white no silver. And being extended black the black isn't dominant over dominant white?

So the female from the black hamburg with silver x white rooster is just white no silver. And being extended black the black isn't dominant over dominant white?

I don't know much about the genes for hamburg, but I do know that dominant white is dominant over extended black. This rooster (dominant white) always has yellow chicks that feather out to be white with specks, no matter what color mom is (black, blue, splash, partridge, etc.) Some hatch with spots, some don't get them until they are 2 to 3 months old. But they are always white.
edit - the little brown one is from a different rooster.

Last edited:
Thanks chicken5555. That looks like a cool rooster. I'm slowly working out mine. He's produced a variety from 2 hens so working out how dominant white works with different colours.

Thanks chicken5555. That looks like a cool rooster. I'm slowly working out mine. He's produced a variety from 2 hens so working out how dominant white works with different colours.

Dominant white in chickens works like brown eyes in people... it hides any other color genes the chicken has and it only takes one gene to make him white.

If the rooster has only one copy, then half the chicks will be color and half will be white. Remember, under that white the rooster has genes for color too, so if the chicks do not get his gene for white, they are getting whatever else he carries along with the hens' genes. Those are the genes that are interacting with the mother's genes to give you different colors.

Those are pretty hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom