Color genetics thread.

You're not going to get yellow legged, black nailed bird.

Single comb is recessive - pprr. When you breed to a bird pure for pea comb you get all pea combs (a chicken pure for pea combs is PPrr). Pure for rose is ppRR. So if you breed a single combed chicken to a pure pea, you will get pea combs. To a pure rose combed chicken all rose.

Sorry to jump in, but this fits with what I'm hatching.... Backyard mixed.

Does it matter if the hen or roo has the pea comb? It's dominant regardless?
My other question for combs is what's dominant between a pea comb, single comb, & v comb?

Is feather legs dominant? 5 toes dominant?

I can list the hens & roos if that helps.

Sorry to jump in, but this fits with what I'm hatching.... Backyard mixed.

Does it matter if the hen or roo has the pea comb? It's dominant regardless?
My other question for combs is what's dominant between a pea comb, single comb, & v comb?

Is feather legs dominant? 5 toes dominant?

I can list the hens & roos if that helps.

No worries! :)

Which parent has which comb does not make a difference at all.

Single combs are recessive. I think a pea comb x a v comb would be some type of modified pea comb, not 100% sure on that though.

Feathered legs are dominant as are five toes.

Sure, you can do that if you want. :)

Its not barred so couldnt be from the barred hen. The splash hen would have to pass a blue gene to its offspring. If the chick is blue its hers. If its black it cant be hers.
If its black then it has to be from the lavender hen.
Thats assuming the brahma is the dad.
Thats the easy answer. Your lavender could also carry blue and be the mom to a blue chick. Most people try to keep blue out of a lavender line so most likely she isnt blue but theres always a chance when you dont know her background.
thumbsup.gif

No worries! :)

Which parent has which comb does not make a difference at all.

Single combs are recessive. I think a pea comb x a v comb would be some type of modified pea comb, not 100% sure on that though.

Feathered legs are dominant as are five toes.

Sure, you can do that if you want. :)

I'll give a list soon as I'm on my computer. I've got 1 chick with 5 toes on 1 foot & 4 on the other. I know momma is 1 of my bantam sultans. She's black with white crest. I don't think I saw any signs of feathers. Which means Daddy is oegb, crevecoeur, or wcblack polish. Every other roo is buff Brahma or cochins all bantams. My only lf roos are the Crevecoeur & polish.

Of course variety of color-including black!

Thanks!

I'll give a list soon as I'm on my computer. I've got 1 chick with 5 toes on 1 foot & 4 on the other. I know momma is 1 of my bantam sultans. She's black with white crest. I don't think I saw any signs of feathers. Which means Daddy is oegb, crevecoeur, or wcblack polish. Every other roo is buff Brahma or cochins all bantams. My only lf roos are the Crevecoeur & polish.

Of course variety of color-including black!

Thanks!

Interesting. Ok! Sounds good.
smile.png

I have a pair of bantam cochins that are black mottled. Hatched three babies today. One is black and the other two have yellow down?! I trust the woman I got them from as far them being exclusively being penned only with each other. Could there be something lying hiding in their genes? Just wondering. First time breeding mottled. Thanks for any info.

I have a pair of bantam cochins that are black mottled.  Hatched three babies today.  One is black and the other two have yellow down?!   I trust the woman I got them from as far them being exclusively being penned only with each other.  Could there be something lying hiding in their genes?  Just wondering.  First time breeding mottled.  Thanks for any info.

There could be a lot of different genes hiding. Any recessive genes can hind. And being extended black which is dominate can hide many things.
I have a trio of blue and black silkies. Every time I hatched their eggs id get as many white chicks as BBS combined. The adults all carried recessive white unseen.
That may be your case also.

Back
Top Bottom