Color name my Muscovies 😁 mix colorations?

D'awww, a bundle of lurvs!

Another thing I forgot, the Barred will have a dark bill compared to the all-yellow white.

View attachment 3262633

That's Jewel at about 5 weeks old? See how her bill is darker, and how the feathers are also coming in dark. At first, she was all yellow with just a black tail.

View attachment 3262649

Recent pic, ten days ago. She's the one on the far left.

And see what I mean by you having taken pics of my ducks? :D
Oh my gosh she is gorgeous! 😍 And yes I do 😆 priceless 🥰 did you hatch them?

Oh my gosh she is gorgeous! 😍 And yes I do 😆 priceless 🥰 did you hatch them?

Unfortunately, Barred is fleeting... :( She'll moult out of most of it, only retaining it on her chest and under the wings. Very few Barred keep the whole body markings.

No, I can't say I can take credit for it, this year. I started with three hens and one drake, saw him mating all of them, they all went broody, and not a single egg hatched. He shot blanks. So I started getting more Muscovy. And then more. And more. Thus why I call myself a Muscovy Hoarder! :D

I do plan on breeding for specific colours next year, though. I've got one last set of ducklings to grow out, and then I'll start making charts (and probably changing them about a hundred times!) to figure out the best pairings.

Unfortunately, Barred is fleeting... :( She'll moult out of most of it, only retaining it on her chest and under the wings. Very few Barred keep the whole body markings.

No, I can't say I can take credit for it, this year. I started with three hens and one drake, saw him mating all of them, they all went broody, and not a single egg hatched. He shot blanks. So I started getting more Muscovy. And then more. And more. Thus why I call myself a Muscovy Hoarder! :D

I do plan on breeding for specific colours next year, though. I've got one last set of ducklings to grow out, and then I'll start making charts (and probably changing them about a hundred times!) to figure out the best pairings.
Aw oh no! After this last clutch I traded my older Drake for a younger more black one (the one that has white around the eyes) and he apparently fertilized 1 more before he left 😂 I have a duckling hatching as we speak actually 🥰 1 out of the 27 that were laid as he was on his way out. (I left them under momma just in case two of my hens share a nest) last one of the year and it will be so spoiled inside until it's safe to be outside 😁 I can't wait. It will be Prim 2.0 ☺️

I am also a Muscovy hoarder 🤪😁 they are just so sweet and beautiful and I love it when they bolt across and under the water just having the time of their lives 😍😆and the sound of their feet when they all take off running through mud. Just brings so much joy to my life. I was planning on doing the same thing, although I don't yet understand how to make the charts 😵‍💫🤔 I'm in the process of getting a business cert so I can start a small farm, well a "real" one 😆 for breeding

The link on DuckDynasty has some good info for genetics. Also check out Al's Quackery https://alsquackery.com/muscovy for some more. She has a .pdf available of the various combinations, too. Then decide what you want to do with the flock! :D I'll be concentrating on both colours and meat.

I also have eggs right now that should be hatching soon *knocks on wood*. They're in lockdown in the incubator. Hopefully by the end of the weekend. They're Welsh Harlequin eggs.

When I'm feeling stressed or sad, I go out to the yard and just sit down and watch the ducks (and the chickens to a certain extent). They'll come and nuzzle with me, then go about their regular ducky business, and it just clears my mind and soul. They make me smile and laugh and are truly the best part of my day (except when one refuses to go back to bed and has me chasing through muck and getting poop all over myself).

Thank you so much for all of the info. I was planning on doing the same. The research gives me something to look forward to, I'm sad to say our single ducking did not make it through the night under momma 😢 I'm not sure what happened. I knew it was going to get under 50 last night so I put a heat lamp up in the coop just in case and someone knocked it down 😒 I opened it up to see how far it got and the yoke was almost all the way absorbed, it had externally pipped and I thought he started unzipping before I went to bed last night. Poor little thing was so close! I don't think I can even sit and watch the ducks today 🥺 I think I may adopt a new hatchling from someone if there is any local so I still have a little to codle inside over winter. I wish you the best of luck with your Welsh harlequin babies ❤️🤞🙏

Back
Top Bottom