Color of appleyard ducklings - help please...

EggsForIHOP

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
TEXAS
Hey ya'll - I ordered my appleyard ducklings and they arrived today healthy as can be but I am confused...

I have 9 that are yellow with the white mohawk and ONE dark black looking fellow....

WHAT ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE????

I KNOW there is a white mutation in the appleyards and I was REALLY hoping to get more of the beautiful colored birds (but would be okay with a few white-ish adults)....

Did I end up with a bunch that will all be white except the one oddball??

UGH....kinda confused - any help appreciated!

Yellow with a mohawk is typical Appleyard duckling coloring (it's supposed to be dark, though, not white) Those kinds will grow up to be Appleyard. The dark one, I'm not sure. I think some people have had dark or mallard-y colored ducklings that eventually grow up into an Appleyard.

Do you have pics?

Here's a link with some duckling photos:

https://www.omlet.us/breeds/ducks/appleyard/

Last edited:
Awesome thank you!!!!! I've been outside ALL DAY cleaning pens and prepping for one last round of baby goats to be born and you know....I let my farmhand unpack the ducklings and she mentioned ONE was different and I figured ooops or packing type peanut or whatever right? But when I came in I MUST have been feeling a little heat stroke lol.....

Like I said I know they HAVE a few whites - but for some reason I just thought "Well heck it's all I got" lol....that one black and yellow fellow threw it off! Heck - maybe he's just an oops stow away though ;)

I'll have to get pics - these are probably the nosiest little ducks I have EVER had! Already following me as I walk around their brooder tub....NOSY hahaha!

They might have put in one extra to round out your order or something.

I love this breed, especially the babies with their diamond Mohawks. Appleyard ducklings like to jump and adults can be loud, though.

Back
Top Bottom