Color question...

She is not purple at all. Purple body color looks light peach. we need a few close up pictures of her neck especially upper neck. Bronze hen body also look the same as Indiablue. This one may be an Indiablue--definitely not purple.

I love that picture! Did it used to be your avatar, or did you post it before? It looks familiar. I love the way she looks like she's looking at her weight!

I honestly have no idea what color mine is. I'll have to get some updated pics and see if anyone has any ideas. I had her mother (silver pied) in with a dark pied male and their 2 year old silver pied son last summer so don't know which one is the father.
You really need to post a picture of the adults cause that bird is not IB. It looks bronze to me but I do not know what color the parents are? What kind of silver pied? bronze silver pied maybe?

Well I agree with casportpony, she is not IB. By looking at her, it looks like she is purple.
Check this link out:
http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/Purple.htm
Either way, she sure is adorable!
That purple pic does look a lot like her! So I have to wonder... since she is in the house for the winter, the only direct sunlight she gets would be for a brief time while the sun is setting. Maybe if she were in the sun more, her feathers would fade some and look more like a purple? The only color on her neck is when a bright light is shining on it you catch it from just the right angle. Otherwise, her neck looks like a darker shade of the body color.

I am only sure that the silver pied is the mother, she was the only hen I had at the time. The only thing I know about her is that the seller hatched both that I bought from shipped eggs. The father was either the dark pied, or their silver pied son. If it was the silver pied, the silver pied hen being his mother and Maya's mother, whatever is in the mothers genetics could have come to Maya from both parents, right?

is this the mother? If so that is not an IB Silver pied. Remember there is a "silver pied" in almost every color of peafowl. That one in the picture looks bronze silver pied to me but I could be wrong. I do know it isn't IB LOL

Last edited:
HI, In order to get a Bronze chick, both parents need to carry a bronze gene The male father look like a two year old blackshoulder with a big white throat patch , means split to white also . If the mother hen really is a bronze silver pied, then the father , the least. must be split to bronze. Also the offspring if indeed is from the above parents, she must be carrying one white eye gene as well as either a white gene or a pied gene. The offsring hen does not appear to be carrying either of the white or pied gene.

Last edited:
The hen could be from the Silver pied hen and the son of the pair. If the Silver pied hen is Bronze, the son would be split to Bronze. If the son was bred back to his mother the offspring could be Bronze. May also be carrying the pied or white gene as well as the white-eyed gene.

The pic that Yoda posted is my original pair. The male has to be carrying the white eye gene from what deerman told me, since their son is a silver pied. When I bought them, they were half grown and that was in the fall of 2008. I took that picture in the fall of 2011. He finally lost the light spots on his wings as a four year old, but the top of his wings still has that faded appearance that has always baffled me. He doesn't have any rust colored feathers at the end of his wings like I see in so many pictures, and still has the tannish colored feathers like you can see part of in the pictures. In the sun, his neck is a brilliant greenish blue, sometimes more green than blue. I really wish I could find out more about both of them!

This is another pic of the mother (taken at the same time as the pic Yoda posted)

This is baby Maya, she was more of a reddish color when she was younger

And a recent pic of the mother with the silver pied son. Bad lighting, I'll try to get a better one soon. I would today but I have to get up for work in 3 hours so need to get a nap

The hen had a bit of blood on her wing in that picture, I have since found that she had a broken blood feather and pulled it.

Not the best picture of the big guy either, but you can see that he still has the tannish color in his wings

This one from a month or so prior shows the faded look on his wings

I'm trying to not get my hopes up, Yoda... bronze are high up on my wish list!

Either way, perhaps I should get a bronze male for Maya?

Back
Top Bottom