Color Sexing EE's (lots of pics!)

Ok...a couple weeks later, and some more feathers to look at. I'm going to do my very best to post them in the same order I did before. I think I can...we'll see. :) I still can't tell how many are boys, although I've been watching some combs and some are starting to look pink. Too early for me to tell that way though. If any of these colors scream boys or girls, I'd love to know. THey are about 3 1/2 weeks old now. Thanks!!

1. Here's spot. Still cuddly, and likes to perch on my shoulder. :)

4. The dark fella has almost a barred look to it. I think it's really pretty. :)

5. This grey baby turned into a red baby. I'm hoping it's a gal, but I'm not holding my breath. Aren't the pretty ones usually boys? ;)

8. This fella developed a cross beak. I'm curious to learn more about that kind of genetic issue and what I can do to prevent it in the future. I had one last spring, must have been a half sister to the mother of these chicks...is this something that isn't avoidable?

7, 5, 1 look like boys.

EEs seem prone to CB.

Ok...some updates! They're older, I'd love your thoughts. I was rushed taking the pictures so I didn't get the full run down like I did before. I can do that tomorrow I think if that's more helpful. I think I may have more roo's then I know what to do with. Stew?

Gal or Boy?

Beginning to worry this is a roo

This one I think (hope) is a pullet.

I think the two on the left are boys, and the one in the front right is the same one in the previous picture. I think it's a gal.

I think a boy here

I think this one's a pullet

Ok...some updates! They're older, I'd love your thoughts. I was rushed taking the pictures so I didn't get the full run down like I did before. I can do that tomorrow I think if that's more helpful. I think I may have more roo's then I know what to do with. Stew? Gal or Boy? Beginning to worry this is a roo This one I think (hope) is a pullet. I think the two on the left are boys, and the one in the front right is the same one in the previous picture. I think it's a gal. I think a boy here I think this one's a pullet
It's a little hard to judge by these pictures (full body shots work the best :) ) but I would say (just based on coloring) my guesses are 1. Could be boy or girl, the coloring and pattern will really depend on that 2. Looks like a female coloring 3. Female 4. Difficult to tell from the picture but front looks like a girl, middle looks kinda girly, but the comb seems big, back could be a boy 5. Looks like boy at this angle 6. Very common female pattern, but depending on the wing and back pattern, could also end up male. One of the big things to look for when sexing EEs is color pattern. The females will have a really smooth even looking pattern while males will have a patchier, more uneven pattern. Also you need to look for brown red patterns on the shoulder area. Those won't be developing too much at this age, but could in a few weeks. That is a dead giveaway of a male. But like I said, the best way for anyone to tell will be close side shots of each individual bird. :)

Just put them outside today and took some better pictures. Hopefully now it's easy to tell boys and girls. There are a few that I'm not sure of. I'm going to try to keep them in the same order I did before.

1. Here's the one we named spot. 99% sure this is a boy...my daughter wants to rename him football because his side feathers look like footballs.

I love how you can see the adults checking him out through their fence.

2. This one I think is a boy, but it was suggested earlier that it had a female color pattern. Would love some opinions on that.

3. I'm hoping this one is a gal. I see a little pink on the comb. Thoughts?

4. This one has absolutely no pink on her comb. Pretty sure it's a pullet.

Here's a shot of 3 and 4 together...they look so similar I'm hoping both are gals.

5. This one I'm sure is all boy. He's so pretty, too. It's hard not to want to keep him.

He's going to be beautiful.

6. This one I'm pretty sure is a pullet.

7. This one I just don't know. I hear the brighter red colors point to boy, but the comb is not as well developed as the ones that are more obvious.

8. Lastly, my crossbeak. There was a while there this one just cried and cried and wasn't thriving. Just as I had come to the decision to put her down (I'm pretty sure she's a she) she adapted and began eating better. Still watching her, she's smaller than the rest, and if she starts to look pathetic again I'm going to put her down.

2,3,5,6 look roo to me.

Your crossbeak slants opposite that mine does. May i suggest fermented feed? Chewi was struggling, but mushy FF sticks to her beak so she eats much easier. Plus-everyones feathers have gotten amazing.
Usually with EEs, a triple row comb will be a boy.

I've never heard of a triple comb. I tried to guess what you mean by that, but I'm not sure. :)

Back
Top Bottom