Colorado

Sad news, something got in and ate all my quail last night. I finally got it so they can't get out and then something gets in. Figure a raccoon or weasel. I'm going to put a few eggs in the incubator but hopes aren't high since they are old. If they don't hatch I'm not sure I'll get any more quail.

Sad news, something got in and ate all my quail last night. I finally got it so they can't get out and then something gets in. Figure a raccoon or weasel. I'm going to put a few eggs in the incubator but hopes aren't high since they are old. If they don't hatch I'm not sure I'll get any more quail.
I'm so sorry about that. :(

Thanks Margie and Uzi.

I'm just kicking myself because it could have been prevented had I paid more attention to protecting the one corner. I'm thinking whatever got in might have been stalking them a few nights beforehand trying the figure out how to get in. They hadn't been laying and were stressed. I thought it was because the pine branches had all dropped their needles and there was nowhere for them to hide. But now...:confused:

And then Saturday evening I find my littlest hen with a huge gash in her side. I think it was one of the young males. She is the most submissive and has no back feathers thanks to over mating. I should have separated her early so she could have a rest but I thought that would be more stressful for her. Luckily it was only torn skin and not muscle. She is in a cage in the coop so she still gets to see everyone and seems to be doing well. She is walking around, eating, and drinking. She seems to enjoy not having any competition for the treats she's getting. I have no idea how long I'll have to keep her in there or if the skin will ever grow back over the muscle though.

I ended up butchering my darker young male yesterday. I wanted to wait for trash day but Monday night he was harassing one of the pullets while roosting. He knocked her off and then chased her around the coop. I knew I couldn't wait any longer. I put in in the carrier that night and butchered Tuesday morning. It wasn't a fun processes but it had to be done. The whole coop is so much calmer now. I'm going to wait and see how the other one will be without his brother. He seems much calmer so I'm hoping Malcolm will let him join the flock.

I felt that way when Igor got killed by the skunk attacks last summer. I didn't think it at the time, but there's no way to account for everything that could possibly happen (unfortunately).

I was wondering if anyone was selling, or knows of someone selling, white polish pullets now. My mom misses watching the polish ladies in my flock and is wanting to add some white ones into it. I'd prefer to buy locally just because I don't need 15 chicks from an order with a hatchery. Thought I'd ask here, just in case. :)

You're right, but now that I see where it got in it's so obvious. I'll definitely be going over the run very carefully if I decide to put something else in there.

Don't know about any Polish. How are the pea chicks doing? Any new pictures? (hint hint, wink wink).

Just in case:

Looking to re-home 2 nice "oops" cockerels, together or separately. They are healthy, friendly 8-week-old barnyard mixes located near downtown Littleton, but if they can be well-treated pets for at least a little while before a very humane end, I will seriously consider delivering them anywhere in CO. We are sad, but we can't have roosters in our part of the city, or enough hens for 2 roosters. They get along well so far, the Buff Orpington (?) mix is more submissive. The blue one (EE? Cochin? Ameraucana?) is a good hawk lookout already. They have been raised on organic feed with kids and dogs and lots of backyard free-range time.
20170709_191955.jpg 20170709_192157.jpg 20170709_194937.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_2979.JPG
IMG_3044.JPG
IMG_3107.JPG
IMG_3114.JPG
You're right, but now that I see where it got in it's so obvious. I'll definitely be going over the run very carefully if I decide to put something else in there.

Don't know about any Polish. How are the pea chicks doing? Any new pictures? (hint hint, wink wink).
Oh my goodness, they are getting huge! I finally started getting them used to being outside because I can't keep them inside all day anymore & not die from the smell!

Mim is still noticeably smaller than Fin & Sy. I had to take him into the vet earlier this month & it looks like he's just always going to be smaller due to his rough hatch (he also had a wood chip stuck in the back of his throat). Now, everyone is rambunctious & ornery & a handful! During the day, Odysseus & Damien (their dad) babysit them. The peahens & the rest of the chickens aren't very interested in them.

I just love them so much. If I decide to try selling peafowl, I don't know if I could do it. LOL I'm not sure who imprinted the hardest, them or me! :)

Hey everyone! I'm currently living in Oklahoma but I'll be moving to Colorado (North Fort Collins area) in early 2018 to be closer to family. I've already looked up the ordinances and talked to the HOA in the neighborhood I'll be living in so I think I'm good there. I currently have 3 three year old RIR hens that I'll be sadly rehoming before I move. I'm not sure how I'd get them there with 2 dogs and 3 chickens in the car. That would be an interesting 11 hours...

This will be my second time owning chickens. Does anyone have Easter Eggers, Red Stars, Welsummers, Wyandottes, or Leghorns? How do they do in the winter? I'm mostly concerned about the leghorns I guess. I've heard mixed things about how they do in the winter. I'm thinking about getting those breeds once I'm settled into our new location. Any info would be great. :)

Hi everyone. I'm new to BYC. I live in the Eaton area.

iPeanut1990 that's about 40 minutes from where you'll soon be. I do have Easter Eggers, Red Stars and Wyandotte and they winter fine here. Along with Buffs, RIR and several other breeds. If I can help in anyway, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom