Colorado

So from a breeder's viewpoint, are most hatcheries pretty much the same? Is there anything to be said for them (hatcheries)?

Yes please :)

I think within a range, most of the big hatcheries are similar, yes. Some have been around longer than others, but as Wendell said, they breed for high production and early first lay, and for anyone just wanting eggs for the family there is nothing wrong with buying from them. The chicks are usually healthy, and you can buy sexed chicks. I have an order in with McMurray for chicks at the end of January, just pullets, which I plan to raise for a few weeks and then sell once they don't need artificial heat - in other words, when they are fully feathered.

When you buy from someone breeding toward the American Poultry Association Standard Of Perfection (APA SOP) you will see differences, and often that includes a longer time before a pullet matures and begins to lay. Usually those breeders sell straight run chicks only, so you can expect about 50% males. When you want a hen bred to the SOP and can't risk getting males, you can buy juveniles from someone who did buy from a breeder or hatched his/her own chicks and has started culling - deciding which females not to breed. Those are usually available for sale later in the year, when they've grown out enough to start making those decisions. Buying from people who do this helps support their endeavors to breed higher quality birds. Most specialize in only one, two, or three breeds, so if you're after something else this may not be an option. Wendell is specializing in Dominiques; once I get my breeding stock selected next year I will specialize in Speckled Sussex and Colored Leghorns. I had hoped to postpone the leghorns a year, but was reminded by members of another thread that Mr. Urch may not be breeding many more years, and I want his lines.

I buy from both types of places, and as long as you understand what you are buying there is nothing wrong with either. In the case of Duane Urch, he has been breeding a long time and has lines of some breeds that are decades old. I happen to love Sussex and Leghorns, each for their own reasons, and want to try my hand at breeding toward the SOP. I live in a rural area, so I am lucky enough to have this option.

So from a breeder's viewpoint, are most hatcheries pretty much the same? Is there anything to be said for them (hatcheries)?

Most hatcheries are generally speaking, about the same. There are differences however, some have exceptional varieties of some breeds, depending on what you want. Remember that hatcheries are there for one reason only, to make money. therefore, they or their contracted farms breed for lay rates and hatch rates. they get paid for what hatches. The more fertile eggs, the better. Most do not look at breed standard at all. Again, I can only speak for American Dominique's here, but come visit my place. You will see hatchery stock and heritage breeder stock American Dominiques. Big difference in the two. Both are great birds and lay well. It gets obvious when compared side to side. Some hatcheries cross-breed to increase size or add vigor, but in doing so dilute the purer strains. All that being said, there are hatcheries that have some good stock of specific types. Cackle for example has American Dominique bantams. They are from Mark Fields' "Unbelievable Beauty" line, which when Mark developed the line won nearly every show he put birds into. Others have their specialties. Hatcheries like Sand Hill Preservation, Urch-Turnland, and a couple others go the extra mile to do a good job about breeding only the best they have. The problem is that they aren't chick factories, so they tend to be more expensive due to limited availability and added expense. Good quality costs more. Hatchery hens will lay great, and consistently for the most part, and are wonderful for backyard flocks. It all depends on what you want. I like the heritage breeds, and the good stock. That's just me.

I am gathering a Colorado order for Urch, I plan on some leghorns and Wendell wants Turkeys, I might even be in for a poult or two, I understand from another thread that running a turkey or two with the chickens helps prevent Marek's - and after seeing and reading about how delicious Wendell's was, what's not to like?

I am hoping to have time to call Mr. Urch this Friday, and would like to know then about how many birds I want to tell him we Colorado folk would like to order. If anyone needs his price sheet again just let me know. Those who have expressed interest, if you could let me know your thoughts by Friday, I would appreciate it. I believe those who expressed interest were Megshenhut, Pichuris, Suncatcher, and Maggiemo. It sounds like among us we could be looking at an order of maybe 50 chicks and poults. Delivery date may be up to him, but if we can still select dates, are most of you looking at March? April? May?
The chicks I want from Urch are 8 wheaton ameraucana bantams. On Urch's list, it says if ordering large fowl and bantams, please order 15 bantams and 10 large fowl. I really don't need 15 bantams, so am hoping someone else will be ordering bantams. If not and we need to have 15 bantams let me know.... I'm thinking April if possible.

Regarding the poults, it says that they are shipped May through July, so if turkeys are part of the order for Wendell, we may have to wait until May for the order.

The chicks I want from Urch are 8 wheaton ameraucana bantams. On Urch's list, it says if ordering large fowl and bantams, please order 15 bantams and 10 large fowl. I really don't need 15 bantams, so am hoping someone else will be ordering bantams. If not and we need to have 15 bantams let me know.... I'm thinking April if possible.

Regarding the poults, it says that they are shipped May through July, so if turkeys are part of the order for Wendell, we may have to wait until May for the order.

OK. April was the earliest I would want to take them, as I want them to be raised with one of my batches of chicks. Any time after April is OK, though if it is much later than May they will only be at about 11-15 lbs by Thankgiving........

If I get a couple of hens and one good Tom that would be good. I think it would be fun to hatch out a batch in 2014.

I'll share an order of bantams with you. I would like some mille fluer bantams and some wheaton ameraucana's as well. I don't really want any roos, so I'll have to deal with that when the time comes...but anyway. PM me and we can sort out the details.

When you buy from someone breeding toward the American Poultry Association Standard Of Perfection (APA SOP) you will see differences, and often that includes a longer time before a pullet matures and begins to lay. Usually those breeders sell straight run chicks only, so you can expect about 50% males. When you want a hen bred to the SOP and can't risk getting males, you can buy juveniles from someone who did buy from a breeder or hatched his/her own chicks and has started culling - deciding which females not to breed. Those are usually available for sale later in the year, when they've grown out enough to start making those decisions. Buying from people who do this helps support their endeavors to breed higher quality birds. Most specialize in only one, two, or three breeds, so if you're after something else this may not be an option. Wendell is specializing in Dominiques; once I get my breeding stock selected next year I will specialize in Speckled Sussex and Colored Leghorns. I had hoped to postpone the leghorns a year, but was reminded by members of another thread that Mr. Urch may not be breeding many more years, and I want his lines.

I buy from both types of places, and as long as you understand what you are buying there is nothing wrong with either. In the case of Duane Urch, he has been breeding a long time and has lines of some breeds that are decades old. I happen to love Sussex and Leghorns, each for their own reasons, and want to try my hand at breeding toward the SOP. I live in a rural area, so I am lucky enough to have this option.
As an addendum to these comments, Dominiques are sexed linked, so I can tell as soon as they are dry what gender they are. By the time the pullets are 2 months old, I can generally tell which ones I will be keeping, or at leat which ones didn't make the "first cut" Those that didn't make the cut (culled) will be for sale. Last year I sold my extra pullets for pretty cheap. This next year they will probably be about $15 or so each. This increase is because they are of better breeding, and better birds. Chicks will be for sale as well, price not set yet, but will probably be around $3.00 each for pullets, $2.00 for cockerels. This is for the "no feathers yet" birds. The older they get, the more they will cost, unfortunately. Dominiques can be expected to lay well for 3-4 years generally speaking, 4-5 eggs per week per pullet or hen.

another CO person here (Highlands Ranch)

so much info here that it's almost overwhelming, but real interesting.

I haven't got chickens yet, the first task is to build a coop. happy to be here :D

Back
Top Bottom