Colorado

Wendell, sounds like you are having a good hatch, congrats!

I candled the 12 Dom eggs in the incubator, 1 shows development, thought I would try to candle the 9 under the broodies, they rather impolitely told me to take a hike :) There is something just plain funny about two little hens doing the head-down, wings-out threat posture. I am hopeful all of them are developing, I guess we will know in 2 more weeks - they haven't kicked anything out, but then again they didn't kick out their own egg when it was in the nest almost 6 weeks without hatching, so I can't really use that as a guide. They also have 13 of the 23 Cream Legbar eggs and the other 10 of those are in the incubator. 3 in the incubator are showing development, which amazes me, but it's early and lots can still go wrong (these are the eggs the Post Office had from Wednesday until Monday). Among the 4 hens they have plenty to sit on. When 1 or 2 get up to stretch or feed the chicks, if it's during the day it's so warm the eggs barely cool, and in the morning the others just spread further and cover the eggs. Amazing little things they are. They have basically taken up residence across the entire back of the pen, which is 4 feet wide, and have sort of nestled into a slight depression in the shavings. In the evening as they prepare to sleep all four are lined up with their eggs and the babies, with The Mister perched in front of them, standing night guard. This has definitely been one of the more delightful experiences I've had as a chicken keeper.

Weird stuff that happened over the last week - the two Egyptian Fayoumi cockerels have started to squabble, one is clearly dominant over the other, and I know it relates to how close the pullets are to POL. I am probably going to have to take one of the cockerels out of the group. The group as a whole remains unique - they are the last to bed and the first to become active in the morning. Right now they aren't in bed until just about 9, almost a full hour later than all the others. Yesterday I noticed one of the Speckled Sussex cockerels appears to have injured himself somehow, although no blood or broken skin, and no ouchy places when I examine him, but his right wing appears to have gotten dislocated and his right leg is raised very high when he walks. He eats and drinks, runs about, shows no indication of pain at all. A pullet I put in the run later than the others was unable to integrate, and last night things came to a head when one of the others pecked a bloody spot on her head. I put her in with the youngest RIR and Colloncas, and she nestled right in with them overnight. This morning one must have looked at her crosswise and she tried to wedge herself into a tight spot in the pen, so I put her in a brooder for the day. By this evening she wanted OUT. I put her back with the youngsters and she seems fine now.

Wendell, how goes the hatch this am? Hope all of the little fuzzies are doing well!

Pozees, glad you are having fun with those broodies and chicken politics drives me nuts too. They can be so weird and picky at times.

Last edited:
Wendell, how goes the hatch this am? Hope all of the little fuzzies are doing well!

Pozees, glad you are having fun with those broodies and chicken politics drives me nuts too. They can be so weird and picky at times.
Still just 4. If the others don't hatch by this evening, I don't think they will hatch. Still have a few in that are scheduled for this weekend, and we should have close to 2 dozen to go in when they are done. The good thing is that most of the eggs started to develop, which means that most are fertile now.

Right now I'm happy we got ANY. Hopefully the new blood introduced will liven things up a bit. Many Dominique breeders have had fertility issues, especially in some of the show lines that have been line bred for many years. Line breeding works, but genetic diversity still must be maintained. Abraham is from one of those lines that have had some dificulties. We bred him to mostly good quality hatchery stock. Last year some asked why I was getting rid of so many Dom hens. I was culling for quality and SoP standard. We'll do the same this fall. The best will stay, while others may go. Even though we went with the hatchery with the best Dominique stock, hatcheries aren't known for adherance to the Breed Standard, rather they breed for numbers. When we know who "makes the cut" we will offer up the others for sale. They still lay lots of nice eggs, and will for a few years.

It looks like out of the four from this batch that we have at least two pullets, maybe three. I haven't handled them yet to get a good look. I need at least two cockerels from each hatch, and I want to keep at least one from each breeding pen, if that makes sense. I have given myself a loose 30 hen limit to overwinter. Right now I have 12 dom hens and 5 EE hens.

Does anyone have any chicks or chickens that they are interested in selling?
My neighbors are wanting eggs and I can not keep up with the supply and demand.
I have 13 chickens and 3 coops, so I have room to expand.

I think I am interested in some that lay white eggs,
I've been scrolling though craigslist....
Wendy 233-0650
I heard of someone who may have some available. Organic-feed only, etc. I will check and get back to you...

Congrats on the new babies, Wendell!

Last edited:
Have you tried CL for hens? Sometimes there are quite a few listed there, some for sale, some for free.

Congrats on your hatches Wendel and Pozee! Looking forward to pictures of fluffy babies. Sounds like your Silkies have assembly line going on!!

This thread is really just a handful of you that are friends. It's not really a Colorado thread. Since I'm not with the 'in crowd', I'm gonna bow out of the CO thread. Good luck with all your babies!

This thread is really just a handful of you that are friends. It's not really a Colorado thread. Since I'm not with the 'in crowd', I'm gonna bow out of the CO thread. Good luck with all your babies!
This thread is open to anyone and everyone. Good luck with your chooks.

???? In all my years as a hillbilly, weird outdoorsy kinda tomboyish slightly reclusive mountain dweller, I have never been in the "in crowd". Interesting take on the thread and I hope you check back in if you need something. We will probably still be here.

Back
Top Bottom