Colorado

We survived the wind with only a chair blown over. Luckily the girls are on the protected side of the house.
I started a grow out pen yesterday. I got the frame done, the top, and the door. Now I just need to wrap it. DH is going to build them a mini coop so they can stay outside. The pen is attached but not open to the enclosed run so they can get to know the older girls without fights. Once they are a little bigger we'll open their door into the bigger run so they can meet each other but they'll still be able to get back into their area for safety.
I'd better get out there and do it while there is still light! These guys are stinking up their brooder too quick, I need them out of here!

I appreciate the kind words. Its a good feeling to be a part of such a caring group. The humidity was at 1% on the incubator when i got home. I hope it didnt cause any permanent damage to the chicks. I guess time will tell. Lockdown is tomorrow night.

We survived the wind with only a chair blown over. Luckily the girls are on the protected side of the house. 
I started a grow out pen yesterday. I got the frame done, the top, and the door. Now I just need to wrap it. DH is going to build them a mini coop so they can stay outside. The pen is attached but not open to the enclosed run so they can get to know the older girls without fights. Once they are a little bigger we'll open their door into the bigger run so they can meet each other but they'll still be able to get back into their area for safety. 
I'd better get out there and do it while there is still light! These guys are stinking up their brooder too quick, I need them out of here!

Chicks do out grow their brooders fast, they will enjoy a bigger area to run in!

Wind gusts were terrible last night! Not going be to as bad tonight, but then look out tomorrow! I got my outdoor stuff done today, can work on the inside of the coop tomorow

Here's the chicks in their new grow out pen.

The bunny had to say hello

Our cochin saying hello to a bantam frizzle cochin. I think that one is a boy - he's for sale.

The big girls checking out the chicks.

A bantam EE - I think this one is a boy. Behind him are a partridge and white cochin. The EE and cochin are both for sale.

2 more bantam EE's. We're keeping the one in front. Pretty sure she's a girl. Not sure about the blue one. It's for sale. Buff silkie in the background. A friend is taking that one.

An EE girl - for sale

The EE and some white cochins (both LF and bantam) - all for sale

White frizzle bantam - pretty sure it's a girl. We're keeping her.

Last edited:
Are you county and can build as big as you want? I know where 2 large shipping crates are (maybe 8x6x6) that could make a nice size coop with a little imagination. 2 chickens? that won't last long.

Usually you can find something on CL like an old dog house or play house but of course nothing right now.
LOL, that's just what I thought...2 chickens?? Chicken math is on its way!
jumpy.gif

I had a bit of an interesting day yesterday. I woke up with some pretty bad abdominal pain. The wife forced me to go to the emergency room . It turns out that was a good thing. I had to get my apendix out yesterday afternoon. Sunday was a bad day but a good day.
I had told my daughters to put the 5 week old quail in with the older quail Saturday. The kids woke up to quite a few injuries Sunday morning and most of the new ones dead this morning. Only two females left out of six. Those older quail sure must be mean. I only have one male In there with the females at this point maybe it is time for a change of flock. I have never had this issue before and it was quite devistating for the kids to find.
Wow, what a day! Glad you listened to your smart wife! So sorry about the find your kids made & hope there are no more injuries or fatalities. Now, the challenge of resting!

Here's the chicks in their new grow out pen.

The bunny had to say hello

Our cochin saying hello to a bantam frizzle cochin. I think that one is a boy - he's for sale.

The big girls checking out the chicks.

A bantam EE - I think this one is a boy. Behind him are a partridge and white cochin. The EE and cochin are both for sale.

2 more bantam EE's. We're keeping the one in front. Pretty sure she's a girl. Not sure about the blue one. It's for sale. Buff silkie in the background. A friend is taking that one.

An EE girl - for sale

The EE and some white cochins (both LF and bantam) - all for sale

White frizzle bantam - pretty sure it's a girl. We're keeping her.
Really nice looking birds (frizzles are my fave) and cute, cute bunny!!

Back
Top Bottom