Colorado

Well with the need for snowpack and moisture for the crops, I am actually thankful that I have to wear myself out in the drifts lol ;). It's going to be a big muddy mess, but nothing like last year, I hope :p I loved the rainy spring, but it really did a number on the start of the year; corn got washed out, flooding took out our bridge to town and some roads, and our reservior actually breached the levee and broke out. Last year was a catastrophe over here. :(

I'm looking forward to no monsoon season :p

Hey @COChix lol, it should comfort you to know, that after 36 years of watching the Broncos, I quit watching them last year. Go figure, right? :p I would watch the big game but I'm pretty sure they would lose if I watch lol, so I will give you the benefit of me NOT watching the game; maybe they'll win ;)

Last edited:
@21hens: thank you; that is comforting.

@DK: I'm with the chickens. I'm not a meteorologist, but I am guessing that high winds will happen as the cold air moves out and the warm comes in; maybe It WILL go (get blown) away? What shall we pray for? The strength to ManUp?
1f618.png
to all

Well, the winds hit....... 45 mph gusts at least and the snow is not in Kansas; it is at my back door.
lau.gif

The Snow Devils are having a grand time dancing around!

Uzi, that bottom pic is very cool. You should enter it in some contest for sure!

Last edited:
By my weather station this morning, it was -7 degrees at my house. I opened the doors on my coop and the chickens looked at me wit that look in their eye as if to say. "Your kidding right". I have only seen two venture out onto/into the 24 inch drift outside their coop. They are not pleased.

@Mtn Margie: well, yeah; houses make good windbreaks, along with coops, fences, sheds, and whatnot. Reminds me of an age old saying in the north country: never put your doors on the Northern Exposure. I just now cleared the last of all the northern exposures that had been barricaded by snow. Gates, too. One day at a time. My birds are all fine, don't look stressed, their coops nice and dry. I did not think the snow was quite a blizzard, just kind of unpleasantly blowing and drifting. Did a job, though. The next coops I build will have doors on just the south and east sides - if I can remember that long.

@samsr: I thought it did not seem that cold in my coops this AM, but the eggs were frozen solid and cracked - as did seem my toes. I am so glad the snow has not melted enough to seep into the coops to make the floor wet. I put more straw in, but it could be much deeper to keep us all happy. My Silkies are complaining a lot, though. Some of the big Light Sussex Roos hang out and sleep in their Dogloos with them. I think they help keep things warm and sheltered, and they seem to do a good job of clearing the snow drifts for the little birds. This is symbiotism (I made this word up) at its best. But it does seem a bit crowded. Stay warm.

Hey all! So much is going on! Glad it appears everyone came out of the storm unscathed for the most part. I probably got about 2 ft, and have some very decent drifts that my kitten likes to tunnel through (weirdo).
Chickens are pretty annoyed, below was their coop on Tuesday, they are dug out now, but they are very huffy about their predicament (even when bribed with sunflower seeds).

I love the snow, but I'm about ready for spring to come!

Very glad to hear that I do not have the only psycho weirdo kitten! Mine lives for snow and chicken feed, chased with red wine or beer, with a side of chard or other greens, topped of with a roll of TP to mangle.

Back
Top Bottom