Coloring help

Blue barred with silver/gold leakage. He’s a Brahma mix, right? If that’s the case, his leakage is probably caused by columbian and/or partridge.

The guy that sold him to me said he was a few generations in with Olive Eggers. So I'm guessing originally a Marans over an Ameraucana or Legbar. I'm assuming that's the mix he used for all his breedings with these guys.

His original birds all looked like Blue or Black Copper Marans, Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Splash and some white Marans as well.

Plus some Muscovies that looked pied.

The guy that sold him to me said he was a few generations in with Olive Eggers. So I'm guessing originally a Marans over an Ameraucana or Legbar. I'm assuming that's the mix he used for all his breedings with these guys.

His original birds all looked like Blue or Black Copper Marans, Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Splash and some white Marans as well.

Plus some Muscovies that looked pied.
Oh, I see the olive egger now. In that case, it’s probably birchen or wheaten that is causing his leakage.

I got rid of my splash laced boy but before he left I did get some chicks out of him. These guys are three weeks old, tho the black one is from Atwoods and doesn't count, but he got an interesting buff-ish color on one of the chicks. I wish they weren't so skittish or else I'd pick them up for a closer picture.

IMG_20210905_173523.jpg
IMG_20210905_172713~2.jpg

My prediction was true!
The sapphire gems lay brown eggs (of course) but I'm thinking the lighter brown one in the top corner is the egg my red hen lays.

The rooster hasn't been expressing much interest in the black hen until recently. Her comb and wattles have developed a lot this past week and he's been doing the matador move on her a lot. Hoping to see what she lays soon!

The leghorn/Wyandotte cross I have started laying as well!! Her eggs are so tiny ;; it's that lil creamy one on the top right corner.

IMG_20210913_185057~3.jpg

Blue barred with silver/gold leakage. He’s a Brahma mix, right? If that’s the case, his leakage is probably caused by columbian and/or partridge.

Hi! Sorry to necro an old thread/your response but my boy's colors are changing. He started molting shortly after I got him, and he's lost most of the yellow to his feathers. Did he maybe have some brass to him? I've never had a bird completely change so much color with a molt before.

Before molt
IMG_20210830_1947182.jpg

After molt
IMG_20211008_1837572.jpg

I don't know if their diet is changing his feather colors or if it's his molt. Their diet now is either (whichever the store has for me to provide) Chick Starter, All-Flock or Hearty Hen.

Also like... This boy is massive. Chickenzilla. He was almost chest-bumping her tail feathers.
244412688_1004259847020635_7350433092321700143_n.jpg

Hi! Sorry to necro an old thread/your response but my boy's colors are changing. He started molting shortly after I got him, and he's lost most of the yellow to his feathers. Did he maybe have some brass to him? I've never had a bird completely change so much color with a molt before.

Before molt
View attachment 2859756

After molt
View attachment 2859757

I don't know if their diet is changing his feather colors or if it's his molt. Their diet now is either (whichever the store has for me to provide) Chick Starter, All-Flock or Hearty Hen.

Also like... This boy is massive. Chickenzilla. He was almost chest-bumping her tail feathers.
View attachment 2859758
Could be his feathers were more yellowish due to environmental factors. (I still think he’s a gold/silver split, though.) Definitely a handsome rooster.

Could be his feathers were more yellowish due to environmental factors. (I still think he’s a gold/silver split, though.) Definitely a handsome rooster.

Seeing if he's split for gold/silver would mean to just breed him and see what his offspring come out as right? like, so many percent silver, gold? I'm hoping that since every one of my birds is a carrier for blue he'll give me some neat babies.

Seeing if he's split for gold/silver would mean to just breed him and see what his offspring come out as right? like, so many percent silver, gold? I'm hoping that since every one of my birds is a carrier for blue he'll give me some neat babies.
If he has any offspring that are pure for gold with any hen that means he’s split.

Back
Top Bottom