Colour variants in Coturnix quail?

pterry97

Songster
Apr 5, 2021
Hi all,
Recently I posted about getting button quail eggs for the first time. It wasn’t until someone helpfully pointed out to me that the eggs weren’t that of button quail at all... I can only assume they are actually Coturnix quail instead (got duped in the purchase it seems). My mistake for not realising quail eggs looked different, I’m still new to them.
Anyways, today was the big day, and all 7 of my eggs hatched out. I’ve read that there are different colour variants in them but couldn’t find a list regarding baby chicks, only adults, but most of my new arrivals surprised me with just how many variants they came out as. I can quite easily tell individuals apart at the moment haha.
Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could potentially tell me what colours I might be expecting with these guys? Many thanks.

Chip:
A7894E3C-EAFE-4BA4-9BBC-BCCAE69323A7.jpeg

Cookie:
12CC9478-24D6-49BD-ABBC-95FD8D6A26B1.jpeg

Rocky (has an underbite):
7DAE2E32-9CD1-4546-A009-592B6620A497.jpeg

Pea:
522B1FBC-C300-4C35-80C9-B47B8A3E9A57.jpeg

Plum:
FAA9A8B8-EB61-4ED4-AC44-7D8E6ECBADBA.jpeg

Peach:
02C9F5D2-863F-431B-A7BF-9DB662A875D0.jpeg

And lastly, Dot (they were upside down in the egg and couldn’t cap from the other side, so I had to assist hatch them):
6CCEA9C3-DB91-4055-AFD2-B1AC8709D536.jpeg

I'm going to assume that since the person lied to you when they sold you the eggs they probably don't separate their colors which means your quail all might be mixed, so you just might have to wait until they grow up to see what color they'll end up being.

But usually when you see the light yellow all on the underside and a color on the top side
It means they will be a tuxedo.
Tuxedos can be any color on the top but have a white underside.

I'm going to assume that since the person lied to you when they sold you the eggs they probably don't separate their colors which means your quail all might be mixed, so you just might have to wait until they grow up to see what color they'll end up being.

But usually when you see the light yellow all on the underside and a color on the top side
It means they will be a tuxedo.
Tuxedos can be any color on the top but have a white underside.
Oh boy, time to confuse my knowledge on quail more haha. "What type are they? Who knows at this point!" Chances are then that Pea, Plum and Peach are all tuxedos then, but at least they all have different colours I just hope none of them become identical in adult plumage haha

Unfortunately not. It was just the most recent at the time advert labelled under button quail eggs on eBay.
Thanks.

I highly recommend researching ANY seller before you buy anything again.

I can't believe people do this. I mean I do believe it because it happens daily but I just can't believe people are so shady.

I would have loved to call the person out for you.😄

Chip and Rocky are Pharaohs. Pea can be Rosetta or scarlet, the lighting is a bit dark, but it will also grow to be a messy tuxedo (pied), probably white markings on the chest, chin, and possibly the wings. I believe plum is Rosetta messy tux, can you get a shot in good light from above so I can see its back? Peach looks like a Tibetan messy tux, it looks like there might be some brown on the head, so maybe a bit of Rosetta too, you find that a lot in mixed groups, you get some interesting combinations of incompletely dominant genes. I’d need to see photos of Cookie and Dot from above so I can see their back, and good lighting. I suspect Dot is somewhere between a pharaoh and Rosetta. With the light I can’t even confidently guess with Cookie, I need to see the stripes on its back, and the color in good light.

Back
Top Bottom