columbian ameraucana~possible? genetic gurus....

Everybody says to use light sussex x ameraucana to produce the columbian pattern in ameraucana. I like the pattern of the light sussex. Is there a reason why light sussex chicks are colored yellow/white, say to comparison, of columbian wyandotte chicks which are darker? What makes this difference in the chick coloring?

Everybody says to use light sussex x ameraucana to produce the columbian pattern in ameraucana. I like the pattern of the light sussex. Is there a reason why light sussex chicks are colored yellow/white, say to comparison, of columbian wyandotte chicks which are darker? What makes this difference in the chick coloring?
Yes. Light Sussex chicks are yellow because they are based on the eWh ( Wheaten) allele. With this allele there is no color balancing needed in the underfluff to get the correct color in the top plumage. The plumage is white to the skin.
The Columbia Wyandotte chicks are darker because they are based on the eb ( brown) allele. This means there is color balancing needed in the underfluff in order to get the correct solid white top plumage. The underfluff on eb based birds has a colored hue to it usually incorporating some shade of slate. The reason you want to use the Light Sussex when making Columbian Ameraucanas is because you don't want the hassle of color balancing in the underfluff in the new color.
Best,
Karen
P.S. The Delaware coloring is the same as the Light Sussex coloring except the barring gene has been added.
The only breeds I know of which are eWh/eWh S/S Co/Co are the Light Sussex, Columbian Marans, and Delaware. As noted before, the Delaware has the added barring gene. The Columbian Marans was recreated by crossing out to a Light Sussex. I do not know of there are any pure eWh/eWh S/S Co/Co Marans out there. Maybe in some flocks. They are still working on winnowing out the autosomal red. If you want to make this Columbian Ameraucana, then the least stressful way is to use a pure eWh/eWh S/S Co/Co variety. S is the silver gene and Co is the Columbian gene. The last thing you want is to intro the autosomal red into the project. It is a "sticky" factor and tough to breed out.

Last edited:
I know this thread has been inactive for a while but...I have two wheaten roosters and a wheaten hen (all pure ameraucana), I have a silver/gold based Columbian incomplete transverse penciled silkie cockerel, and a silver Columbian incomplete transverse penciled silkie pullet. Would I be able to start a Columbian ameraucana project with what I have?

Hi,
I don't know the genetics of your question. However, you are very wise to start with and eWh base and not and eb ( Brown) base. that way, using Wheaten, you don't need to balance any under color to get correct top color.
Best,
Karen

Hi,
 I don't know the genetics of your question. However, you are very wise to start with and eWh base and not and eb ( Brown) base. that way, using Wheaten, you don't need to balance any under color to get correct top color.
 Best,
 Karen
the problem is the silkies are eb (dad was a silver partridge and mom was a partridge based buff...)

Hi guys,
I know this is an ancient thread. Please pardon my archeology in digging it up, but I'm curious if there's been progress. I love the light Columbian coloring and would love a couple of Ameracauna-based EE with this coloring.

Since I'm still planning my flock, could anyone tell me what color Ameracaunas can cross with a light Sussex roo to produce light Columbian offspring? I'd like to add one to my wishlist. =D

Sorry if this is an elementary question...I've tried to do some research on genetics and attempted the chicken calculator, but it all makes my brain hurt.

Thanks!

Hi guys,
I know this is an ancient thread. Please pardon my archeology in digging it up, but I'm curious if there's been progress. I love the light Columbian coloring and would love a couple of Ameracauna-based EE with this coloring.

Since I'm still planning my flock, could anyone tell me what color Ameracaunas can cross with a light Sussex roo to produce light Columbian offspring? I'd like to add one to my wishlist. =D

Sorry if this is an elementary question...I've tried to do some research on genetics and attempted the chicken calculator, but it all makes my brain hurt.

Thanks!
In reading up on this, if you want a basic and straightforward EE that’s columbian colored, see if you can get ahold of a Silver Ameraucana. The breeder directory for the Ameraucana Alliance www.ameraucanaalliance.org will tell you where you can find silver Ameraucanas for sale from breeders :) The silver Ameraucana roosters are gorgeous! I’d get the boy and a light Sussex girl 😄

Back
Top Bottom