Columbian Leghorns: Which are the ancestor of the breed?

Thomas Lamprogiorgos

Songster
6 Years
Oct 19, 2017
Greece
Hello, everyone.
Do you happen to know which breeds created the Columbian Leghorns?

I've heard of lakenvelders and white leghorns taking part.

My strain was from dominant CZ.
They were excellent layers of pearl white and off-white eggs of an optimum balanced size.

Info here: http://dominant-cz.cz/produkt/dominant-sussex-d-304-2/?lang=en

They also have a) the light Columbian genes & b) the silver gene.

If you cross leghorn roosters having the gold gene over Columbian leghorn hens, you produce leghorns (in not recognized colors) capable of being sexed at day old.

Columbian leghorns are from extremely rare to almost nonexistent here in the states so that probably explains why no one replied.
I would imagine anyone over here that has them got them by making them themselves so the original origin didn't come into play.
I've done a little towards making them myself from crossing patterns like buffs, black tailed reds and mille fleur. As may be expected so far I'm lacking good black in the hackles.

Columbian leghorns are from extremely rare to almost nonexistent here in the states so that probably explains why no one replied.
I would imagine anyone over here that has them got them by making them themselves so the original origin didn't come into play.
I've done a little towards making them myself from crossing patterns like buffs, black tailed reds and mille fleur. As may be expected so far I'm lacking good black in the hackles.
Dominant CZ have partners in the States, so there may be available some of them, being utility strain of course, not for shows.

I've heard that the italiener leghorns I breed have derived from lakendelfer and from braekel.

I am going to hatch a new batch of them soon.

At the moment I hatch blacks and blacks X isabellas. I also hatch some easter and olive eggers, just for keeping the females, the males will become my dinner.

I know this is old, but I'm surprised this never got any replies. Colombian Leghorns are so beautiful.
Sorry, no replies, my comment is unrelated to the ancestry, my concern is I got parent stocks from Dominant CZ but they lay brown eggs and hatching the eggs is very difficult. Most chicks die in the shell just before breakout. Do you experience vthe same?

Sorry, no replies, my comment is unrelated to the ancestry, my concern is I got parent stocks from Dominant CZ but they lay brown eggs and hatching the eggs is very difficult. Most chicks die in the shell just before breakout. Do you experience vthe same?
Brown eggs? And leghorns? No, they are not leghorns.

The may be columbian plymouth rocks.

https://www.dominant-cz.cz/programy/hneda-skorapka/detail/21/dominant-sussex-d104

Hatch the eggs under broody hens. They will help the baby chick flee.

Back
Top Bottom