Columbian Orpington

Chickndaddy

Songster
12 Years
Jul 26, 2007
East Texas
I was playing around on the internet and ran across a photo of a gorgeous Light Brahma rooster. And then I asked myself, "Wow, what would that look like an Orpington?"
ep.gif

Do they have these in the UK? What would you use to get started? White Orp x Light Brahma or Columbian Cochin? And Buff Columbian? Buff Orp x Buff Brahma? I don't think we have a Buff Columbian Cochin. Either way you would have to work on breeding proper type, comb, and leg color. No feathered feet if you start with the Cochins. I know these wouldn't be as flashy as some of the other Orpington colors like the GLO, SLO, BLRO but they would still be gorgeous.

A Birchin Orpington would be gorgeous too...
barnie.gif

I am at lunch now at work but I have a booklet at home. I will look this up and let you know how it says to go about getting the Columbian.

Let dream big. How about a Lavendar Columbian?

You could always start with light sussex and buff sussex, they have single combs, white legs, and are columbian. I have been seeing them on eggbid lately. It would be cool to see a large orp with a columbian pattern.

light sussex and buff sussex

Duh! *smacks head* How did I forget about the Sussex? All the birds are fairly large so at least you wouldn't have to work really hard to get a huge bird again. So it all just comes down to what traits you want to get rid of: pea comb, feathered feet, or wrong colored legs. Or someone could just work on all three using each cross to expand the bloodline...
big_smile.png

Light Brahma would be your best bet. Cochins would always leave a trace of feathered feet.

It may take several generations but I think it could definitely be done

Nice!

I'm new at chicken genetics, so to those experts out there how would one go about creating a BLRO? Blue orp x blrw then try to breed for the correct comb and lacing?

-Cindy in MA

Back
Top Bottom