Columbian Rock Thread!!!!

Pics
Quick question, are CR's a breed in themselves or a cross? I got some Red Sussex Cross cockerels a couple months back and they look like the CR they're a sexlink bird), but are not a pure breed. I am looking at getting a couple of pullets to start with this year possibly as I love the colours, can find a boy next year!

They said that they are a dual purpose chickens but i was wondering if i got some hens how many eggs i could expect from them?
Sorry, but coming from a hatchery I couldnt wager a guess....my line is from exhibition lines and I get 4-5 eggs/bird as long as the light conditions are conducive to laying. In low light (fall/winter) production goes down

Hope that helps

Quick question, are CR's a breed in themselves or a cross? I got some Red Sussex Cross cockerels a couple months back and they look like the CR they're a sexlink bird), but are not a pure breed. I am looking at getting a couple of pullets to start with this year possibly as I love the colours, can find a boy next year!
CRs (Columbian Rocks) are a feather pattern variety (color) of Plymouth Rocks. Ply Rocks coming in Barred, White, Blue, Buff, Silver Penciled, Columbian, Partridge....and I'm sure I've missed a few

Good luck!!

The canadian hatchery CRs I have are decent layers. They start fairly young with large eggs. Some of my other layers produce small/medium eggs before they get into the large ones.

The CR's that I have tend to be broody. Just buy them one drink and they'll go to nest and start brooding.

There are several hatcheries in canada that use them for sexlinks.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Red Sussex Cross will not breed true. Columbian Rocks will.[/FONT]

Last edited:
MHeusser

I am so glad to see pix of some of my lineage in other places and SO glad to hear there is some broody tendencies. I have 1 Col Rock hen that raised one clutch this year and the one "blue columbian" hen I have is sitting and due to hatch next Sunday. Your cockerel that is standing behind "blue" in the pix with all of them by the nest boxes looks pretty good, nice chest, decent color. Some pretty good lacing on the pullets also. "Bert" should help the hackle color on your females as he is a little "over colored" but that is a GOOD thing....will help to keep your undercolor from getting too light

Keep some pix coming

Scott Brazinski (aka Yard Full O' Rocks)

We have about a dozen offspring that we are growing out and seem to have a majority of them with the "blue" coloring. Should I keep those for breeding back to my Blue Roo or sell them off? I think he must be the dominant roo and is breeding the hens more than my larger Roo. I may have to separate him. Is the "blue" variation a desired trait to breed for?

Back
Top Bottom