Comb and Wattles Looking Dry and Flaky

You really don't need the pine tar as long as you're using Blu-kote. BK deters pecking by camouflaging the wound. It wouldn't hurt though to get it to keep on hand. It's a 2000 year old live stock wound treatment, and it works on people, too. It's an excellent drawing salve and great for large wounds that are impossible to bandage. I use it on splinters when I get one on my hand. A dab on the splinter or cactus spine and the pine salve will draw it out of the skin.

Throw the dauber away, and use a Q-tip. Just trash it. It's meant for cows and horses where you have a large area to treat. I even decant an ounce of the liquid into a tiny two ounce bottle to make it even easier to use. Yes, the stuff is thin, so be ready to stand back when Knothead shakes his head in response to the cold liquid. The stuff stains and will go everywhere.

I first saw the effects of gentian violet with I was eleven and my little sister had thrush in her mouth. It was hilarious to see a kid with a completely purple mouth. My sister, however, didn't find it so humorous.

I'm actually using Blu-kote on my hand right now for a skin fungus. The stuff works very well to knock out these surface fungi.
Such a wonderful idea! I didn't even think about putting it in a couple of smaller bottles. I'll keep one in the house and one in the shop where I usually work on chickens if needed. Sounds like I should do this treatment outside to avoid permanent purple spots on my white walls :lol:

My daughter and I had to use gentian violet whenever she was a baby and it certainly made things interesting..... And hilarious to see if we're being honest.

What do you think about me possibly applying blu-kote and once dry applying a thin layer of pine tar? I have to order the pine tar, so if this clears up before it arrives then I won't need to. At night, he usually roosts in the middle of his flock, with one rooster on each side of him. I noticed tonight that he is not in the middle, but unfortunately the side that looks much worse is the side that's exposed to his flockmate. I think I'll try to put him on the other side whenever I put him back because that one side looks awful, very yucky, and painful.

@azygous it looks like we replied at the same time. My apologies. You answered my question before you even knew I asked :love Thank you so so much!

Also, not sure how some of my reply ended up in a quote box :he

So I've been slack and I just got my sweet guys comb painted. I took some close ups of the areas. The worse side looks so yucky. I sprayed both sides with Vetericyn, blotted dry with paper towel and then applied blu-kote. I wasn't sure if I should have removed the thickened scabbed layer but he acted like it was tender and it was 2am, so...

~Is it just me or does it look like he is giving me a glare of disappointment because he knows that I slipped while painting his comb purple? Poor guy. He just finished molting a couple of months ago so he'll have some purple head feathers for a while. I used a cotton swab and still made a complete mess. Can you imagine what this would look like if I would have used the dauber to apply :lau I'm guessing I will get better at doing this before long.
20210306_020852.jpg
20210306_020920.jpg
20210306_021252.jpg
20210306_021243.jpg

He ended up getting some Blueberries as a reward for his always wonderful behavior.

How did your Roo do with Blu kote?
I have a similar scenario.
He did really well. It worked wonderfully but I stopped before it was 100% healed so its not completely gone. I plan on starting treatment with blukote again and I'm confident that as long as I stick with the treatment, he'll recover completely. I hope this works as well for your guy ❤️

Well, here is Teddy, Blu-kote applied, will keep you posted.
Great job! I'll have to grab my guy off the roost because he has a real stinker for a flockmate. I've got one more trick to try on the jerk and then I'm done. Thankfully the one that needs treatment is a gentle giant and always has been (although he was absolutely terrified as a chick and avoided contact by any means necessary ~except for being aggressive) Please keep me posted on your guy. Does he have a name?

Back
Top Bottom