Comb blocking vision

MinniesMomma

Songster
Apr 22, 2018
Caldwell Tx
My Coop
My Coop
Good morning y'all! I have a Red Silkie pullet who is about 16 weeks old. Her comb is growing large and off to one side and is obscuring her vision on the left. I have noticed that she walks crooked and is easily startled by things on her left. The eye appears normal. (This is also my poor little girl who has a mild scissor beak.) Is this normal? Could a vet do anything about it, or should I just not worry about it?View attachment 1434455

Last edited:
I too have a Leghorn with a floppy comb that covers the left eye. She gets along fine. She went broody and her comb dried up. But she is back and the comb is nice and large. I'm not concerned about it. She apparently isn't either.
Good luck with yours

Game cocks have their combs cut down (dubbed) for showing, because it's done for fighting cocks. Not nice!
However, if your pullet's weird comb is actually a problem for her (him???) cutting it off makes sense. There's a thread here somewhere about doing it for game cocks, but your bird has a much thicker comb. I'd talk to your veterinarian about it rather than attempting it at home!
With a crooked beak and comb, what other issues might she have? Are you sure it's all about that comb?
Mary

Back
Top Bottom