Comb is pale and wattle is shrunken

Oct 29, 2020
I'm worried about my rooster! Have you ever seen anything like this? Just 2 weeks ago he was healthy. I thought at first that he was just mourning the loss or his gf Piper (she was killed by a hawk) but now he is looking worse. See the difference in his comb and wattle? His chest is a bit puffy too and he is not standing up straight. Tonight he was sleeping on the floor with his head tucked in his feathers instead of on the roost. I brought him inside for a little extra TLC but I don't know what if could be. I'm not sure what is causing this or how to treat him to heal him quickly.

Attachments

• B138AC05-3950-4640-88AA-4F92DA229F29.jpeg
    B138AC05-3950-4640-88AA-4F92DA229F29.jpeg
    826.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 4E0FB095-465F-4FA2-99BB-9E7F2E02C00C.jpeg
    4E0FB095-465F-4FA2-99BB-9E7F2E02C00C.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 3
Thank for the welcome. If I can find a local vet that treats chicken yes, but I thought I'd ask here, to see if anyone has had any experience with this and had any advise. I apologize if I joined the wrong site.

You are in the right place. But your bird looks sick. When did he start looking "off" like this? Could he have sustained any injuries when his gf was killed? Perhaps something minor at the time that has become infected or gotten worse. Have you examined him all over very carefully?

You are in the right place. But your bird looks sick. When did he start looking "off" like this? Could he have sustained any injuries when his gf was killed? Perhaps something minor at the time that has become infected or gotten worse. Have you examined him all over very carefully?
He doesn't appear to have any injuries that I can see. The healthy pic of him was taken Oct 15th, the day after his gf was killed. The other was taken this afternoon There are still 5 other hens in the flock. At first I thought maybe he was mourning or adjusting the to cooler weather. He has been staying in the coop and roosting most of the days... I've been watching him closely, making sure he eats a little something but he always lets the ladies eat first. I brought him inside tonight and will isolate and try to treat him. I'll examine better tomorrow. I don't know if lice or mites can do this. I'm new to chickens (started in February) I love them and trying to care the best I can for him and the flock. I'll go buy some worker tomorrow as well.

Back
Top Bottom