Comb sexing chicks

I was told the best protection is a goose. I really don't want to have to feed them over winter ,they eat a lot. But I don't think it's really fair to have just 1. But if it works. i have show quality Barnvelder, Welsummer and Salmon Faverolles coming in May.

Here's my $50 black copper rooster I lost too. I'll never pay that much for a bird again.
He was easy to tell by his comb I swear it turned red at 2 weeks.

Atwoods sells geese starting in March.... $9-10. And you only have to buy 1. Dang
:(

You all continue to tell me what you discover with comb and it being sex linked.

It's not so much the crowing for me as the stress on the females. I suppose I could someday just have like a whole acre to dedicate to the the chickens, with an old chickenhouse or two to house them in and then have a 1000 lol. Yesterday my husband told me I'm a chicken hoarder, and I only have about 35. He hasn't seen anything yet. 

I'm joking anyway. After a certain point I think you lose the ability to really provide good husbandry to the individuals and its more likely that illnesses and injuries and even missing birds will go unnoticed. Along the same lines, I don't understand how people can have like 10 dogs. I start feeling neglectful just trying to divide my attention between our two. 

Anyway, I took comb pics yesterday and I thought I posted them last night but I must not have submitted it. I would love a second opinion on them, anyway, since I am finding the baby peas hard to interpret.

I've been warned about chicken math. Lol
I have a business minded son who keeps saying to me " what are you wanting to do? Where is this going? What are you wanting to accomplish? " I just love chickens. Don't want a business but I like getting eggs. Lol
I don't want them to breed unchecked. I love mixed breeds but it's hard to rehome them especially roosters.
That's why I really hope there is something to this comb sexing. I get attached to the more gregarious roosters before I know they are boys. ;)

I've been warned about chicken math. Lol
I have a business minded son who keeps saying to me " what are you wanting to do? Where is this going? What are you wanting to accomplish? " I just love chickens. Don't want a business but I like getting eggs. Lol
I don't want them to breed unchecked. I love mixed breeds but it's hard to rehome them especially roosters.
That's why I really hope there is something to this comb sexing. I get attached to the more gregarious roosters before I know they are boys.
wink.png

I know what you mean. The male chicks can be so easy to fall in love with, although I have had a few that I really just hated and did not feel bad at all about eating. They were just mean and tried to fight everyone and caused a lot of stress for the other birds. Except for my EEs I only have purebreds, but I haven't had problems selling mixed chicks, especially bantams. However, with grow-outs you are correct; I can still sell mixed females (if I even have them that long), but males are another story. Of course, even purebred males are hard to get rid of. I just sold some very good quality purebred Marans and Speckled Sussex cockerels for a pittance, which I normally won't do, but I really was not in the mood for butchering. Besides the time and mess, it makes me feel evil, even though I know I am quick and humane and who knows how they will be treated if I send them off to a new home where they will be butchered.

OK, so the first chick is the one I wing sexed on the first day I got them as the roo. They were about 3 days old then. Going by the comb method though, he's a pullet. I looked through the others and didn't see any that had combs extending past their nostrils, though, so I don't know if comb sexing these guys doesn't work, I don't know what I'm looking for, or the chick that died in transit was the roo. I'm worried now!

Last edited:
I took these pics yesterday. I'm not sure I fully understand where the comb is proposed to stop on a female. Before the nostril begins, or before it ends?

I got out my macro lens today to try to get better shots but something is going on with it. I'll try again tomorrow. (sigh)

What I was told was one pullet chicks the comb stops at the top of the nostrils. Males comb comes down into the nostril area. Mr. Parker says he's been sexing his chicks this way for 30 years. He says it works. So far mine seem to be on track.

I took these pics yesterday. I'm not sure I fully understand where the comb is proposed to stop on a female. Before the nostril begins, or before it ends? I got out my macro lens today to try to get better shots but something is going on with it. I'll try again tomorrow. (sigh)
It is hard to see! But it looks like the middle photos have combs like a pullet. The top and bottom one is difficult I'm leaning towards male. Because it looks like the comb comes to the middle of the nostrils. Yet it's hard to see in the photo where the nostril opening is.

OK, so the first chick is the one I wing sexed on the first day I got them as the roo. They were about 3 days old then. Going by the comb method though, he's a pullet. I looked through the others and didn't see any that had combs extending past their nostrils, though, so I don't know if comb sexing these guys doesn't work, I don't know what I'm looking for, or the chick that died in transit was the roo. I'm worried now!

It is hard to see but the yellow chick looks like a male.

Male.

Because the comb extends into the nostril opening.

* having trouble getting BYC to load photos. I'll load what I understand a female comb looks like according to Mr.Parker tomorrow. :p

Back
Top Bottom