Combining colors

First thing you need to forget about the parakeets.....they have the two base colors.............nothing like peafowl.

Only one that i wonder about is the peach.......but that very well is just a mutation that happen'

Myself I don't thinks we have any peafowl that shows two colors.......now patterns yes...but they are not color.

Know one breeder who call bird like bronze opals , you will find they look blue and are splits.

Anyway to date don't think there is a peafowl showing two color.....i wonder about peach ,but untill prove , still say NO

Aquaeyes.......looks like your doing to much thinking on this......myself I know from breeding what to what = this. not that hard but your starting to even make my head spin....must less new people to peafowl

Quote:
Sorry, Deerman...I promise I'll keep it brief from now on. I just had an idea in my head and came here to find out if anyone tried it. I did get a reply via email from a breeder who has successfully combined Purple and Bronze into, from what he says, is an attractive phenotype that he is calling "Indigo" or "Bronze Indigo." He has also succeeded in breeding visual Purple Midnight females but has not gotten a visual male raised to adulthood yet. He also mentioned combining others but said they were varying shades of gray, intermediate between the colors used. I asked him if I could post the email here, and when I get a reply in the affirmative, I will. I also asked for pics. So, I guess we'll find out in due time.

The "bronze opals" that look blue and are splits are still first-generation crosses. To show both colors, the bird would need two copies of each color. Having one of each is just a double split. Only by breeding double splits together do you have a chance of producing offspring with two copies of each color, and thus being visual for both. We'll see soon (I hope....)

:)

~Christopher

Quote:
The "bronze opals" that look blue and are splits are still first-generation crosses. To show both colors, the bird would need two copies of each color. Having one of each is just a double split. Only by breeding double splits together do you have a chance of producing offspring with two copies of each color, and thus being visual for both. We'll see soon (I hope....)

~Christopher

I understand they are split, point i was making is this guy call these cross WRONG......they will produce bronze and opal ,but not on one bird.

Believe it when i see pics.......untill then NO PEAFOWL shows 2 colors.

Quote:
That's kinda what I been getting at too Deerman. They just dont work like all the other birds.
And yes, to me til proven different peach is just a random mutation as well. I know there is some theory behind it, but the way they came about it how , well all other mutations came about too, by accident.

Not all mutations have just recently poped up either, there are some that have been out there for a very long time. It's not like people are all new to breeding them, I assure you more than one has gone broke trying to "MAKE" a new color or one displaying 2 colors. The short and curly of it is...it just doesnt work that way in peafowl.
They'll be splits and carry one copy of a mutation gene til it is bred to a bird with another copy of that gene, then the split color comes out, doesnt matter if it's split to one color or all of them. From what I have seen, all the heavily experience breeders I know and have spoken with, and countless similar thread here and on various other forums, it just isnt possible.

I'm no geneticist, so I cant tell you why , but I'm confident in the fact that it doesnt. Like I said earlier, there are some many people dying to have the next $2000 bird, that it's not like it hasnt been tried to death. In the long run, these are just indian blue peafowl, with various mutation of their color. Just like in the golden pheasant.
Havent seen a yellow red gold in them yet either, and Lord only knows how many times that's been crossed, millions I'd bet.

In an effort to maintain privacy, I don't want to post the email I received in the forum. However, I did PM the email to connerhills. I'm waiting for him to confirm in here that I'm not crazy (without revealing the name of the breeder). Let's just say it is someone who is VERY familiar with "Peach."

~Chris

Quote:
hey it's Deerman...LOL

That's about all he likes to play with is peach.

Oh Shawn,
I wish purple would get to a true purple looking color and not a purplish blue, that would look very nice to me. But I think they are what they are.

Last edited:
Quote:
Uh Oh. Aquaeyes dont look now but you just took out the Vice president.
tongue.png
Im not a genetics expert either but I think it would be cool to see a purple peacock someday ( yes I know there is already a purple) but I mean the COLOR purple ALL OVER the male like a pure India blue has that COLOR blue ALL OVER him. Or is he already out there cause I sure would like to see a pic if he is. I can wait on the red color for awhile
lol.png

haha,
I'm sure Steve has been laughing at all this for a bit
lau.gif

surprised it took you this long Steve. dont give up on them though....

destin I'm like Sid Drenth too, I want to see a red one!!!

Yea, I have been on those California runs and don't have to much time at home right now, If you look at the Spalding Purples they show more Purple in the tail and neck then the plain Purple.

This still hurts my head
gig.gif

P.S. I want to have a Pink Peafowl like the flamingos

Steve

Last edited:
Quote:
hey it's Deerman...LOL

That's about all he likes to play with is peach.

Oh Shawn,
I wish purple would get to a true purple looking color and not a purplish blue, that would look very nice to me. But I think they are what they are.

lau.gif
don't forget my purples.....but no cameos for me

Back
Top Bottom