1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Combs and Maturity

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by enggass, Oct 5, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Is it common for some birds to develop more quickly than others of the same breed?
    I have 3 BR about 22 weeks old. In the past 2 weeks the combs and waddles on two of them developed rather quickly and are now much bigger and red.
    The 3rd one still has a small and pale waddle and comb. She has now become the runt of the flock(I also have 3 RIR who are very developed)... Is this somewhat common?
    For a bird to develop at a slower rate like this? She is now smaller as well. She was just like the other 2 BR until they all of a sudden grew/matured, and she has not... yet.
    I hop she does soon because she does not seem happy as the immature runt.

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    are you sure they are all girls ? my roos develop more quickly than the girls. could you post a pic ?

3. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:What you have with the developed Comb and wattles is pullets at point of laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by