Combs and Waddles

Apache

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona
I have read that chicks begin to get their combs at 3 to 4 weeks.
I had 2 RIRs that are 6-8 months old and neither have developed combs or waddles. Is this normal?

Hi welcome to BYC.
Combs start to be noticeable at three to four weeks. They do grow with the bird, but they really grow when they mature. At 6-8 months they should have red combs and wattles and start laying. Some strains of RIRs are slower maturing.

Thank you. I will continue to watch them.
I raised two hens and a rooster as a Boy Scout project several years ago and I'm excited to start up, again.
In forty or so years one does forget, so the questions do arise when beginning anew.
The two RIR's and a Plymouth Rock have become pets in a very short time, as did the hens and rooster of years back.
Again, thank your for your response to my question.

I just posted a photo on my profile of one of my RIRs(?). To date I see no comb or waddle, instead she has a lot of small feathers where I figure her waddle would be.
I wonder if she is truly a RIR or is she a similar breed?
I've looked at lots of photos of RIRs, but haven't found any that are similar. Body feathers indicate RIR, however.
Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Your were right to question what breed you had. That is not a RIR, but a Speckled Sussex. The white spots are something no RIR has. They normally have a smaller comb and wattles then RIRs. The one in the picture still has some maturing to do. I would say looking at her she is more like 5 months.

Last edited:
I think possibly it is a Speckled Sussex mix. Unless it is just the picture, she looks like she has cheek muffs - not something you will see on a straight SS.

I think she is an EE mutt. Which EE's are mutts anyways but she looks mixed with a Speckled Sussex. EEs do not have wattles, instead they have beards and muffs, and pea combs. like your hen. She may lay you a blue or green egg. What color are her legs?

Back
Top Bottom