Come See Honey! We Have A Peacock in our Yard!

Jobele

Songster
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
Texas
No Way!!!!!! Low and behold a Male Peacock has shown up in my yard making himself at home...LOL We have tried to find the owner of this peacock, but nobody is claiming him!

What's so funny is....I had practically begged my husband to get some and he said "NO!" He didn't want to listen to all the racket.....Don't know where he got that idea! Anyway, out of the clear blue sky I now have one. Can't help but believe that the man upstairs had something to do with this.....LOL!

Anyway he is gorgeous and extremely friendly, so I know that he has been fooled with by humans. He loves pieces of bread and fruit! We are keeping him in a 20 X 20 pen.

My questions are numerous. What do I feed him? I'm feeding him the same as I'm feeding my chickens right now and tons of fruit (watermelon, dew melon, banannas, apples, grapes, etc.).

I have part of a 10 X 20 building that he can go up into. Is that sufficient for him? Also, do I need to get some pea hens to keep him company? He's not completely grown....I'm not sure how old he is....maybe some of you can guess? I think he is about 1 year old. Here's some pics of him.

Thanks for any input that you can give me.

My husband call him..."Big Bird"

No help from me but he is beautiful. God does give us the desires of our heart....be blessed!

Congratulations!
He's beautiful, and it's great that he is friendly. You will grow to love him!
love.gif

He is certainly fully grown, but he has lost his longest train feathers - they do that every year after the breeding season. I can't quite tell from the picture but he's probably at least 3 years old.
And yes, he will definitely appreciate company! Find him some girls!

Be forewarned that your husband was not completely wrong about the racket. They can be very loud, especially during breeding season.

Looks like a mature India Blue male 3 years or older. Like New said he dropped his train and is starting to grow it back. If he was under 3 years he would still have a small train.

Thanks everybody for your kind remarks!
big_smile.png

I already love him....he's so sweet! I just have to do a crash course on owning them! Man, I can't believe he's that old, but ya'll would know better than me. I didn't know they lost their train after breeding! I've got a LOT to learn! What color hens would ya'll recommend getting? Another India Blue and maybe a white?

My husband chuckled when he read your answer "New"! He said...."I told you they are noisy...LOL". But, he's liking Big Bird a lot, so we'll deal with it. Thank goodness we live in the country...LOL

LiL Zoo .....I thought the same thing....that he had actually went out and bought me one.....but he assures me he didn't! He is really good about letting me have the critters that I want though. He's really a good hubby! And now he's going to let Big Bird have a few girlfriends....LOL

That is funny! Maybe it is the one that left my place in late May! I had three males and two females that I inherited from a friend who passed away in April. The lone male took off and went about a half mile East of my farm to the Highway--hung around there for two or three days and then started traveling! I alerted all the neighbors to keep an eye out. One lady found a few feathers on her patio and another neighbor had seen him running across a wooded area. Then yet another neighbor and her husband tried to "round him up" one evening but no luck. After that he has just been gone. I figured he was trying to find his way back home which was about 7 miles from me or else he was off looking for love. Anyway if you live anywhere close to Wolf Creek---we think he followed the creek for food and water.

So funny! I just hope mine found a good home like the one that came to your place!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom