Come See Honey! We Have A Peacock in our Yard!

Ya know if they have been wild there a long time they may not aclamate to your place and leave to find their own home.

I started out with babies so they new where home was once i turned them loose, it took months for the first ones to leave the barn area, the next year i added more baby peas to the floks and they took to the older peas and ranged alot farther alot faster.

It is a real joy to watch them grow, i have learned so much from them. I LOVE MY PEAS
love.gif

Keep your eyes open you will find some that would work out better for you if you want peas wondering around at your place.

How much land do you have for the peas to range on?

love.gif
Love these pics.....they are so happy and pretty! I love the whites and the blues. Their my favorite colors out of ALL the colors. I like the other colors, but you just can't beat the India Blue peacock! It is gorgeous!

Definitely older than one, he is either growing in his third year train or 3 years plus and growing in his train for mating season. They shed the train every year and it takes about 3 months to grow back a full train. Also his legs seem a little short but if he gets room, and if you could even let him free range a little with some peahens, then his grandkids will start to show longer legs.

Definitely older than one, he is either growing in his third year train or 3 years plus and growing in his train for mating season. They shed the train every year and it takes about 3 months to grow back a full train. Also his legs seem a little short but if he gets room, and if you could even let him free range a little with some peahens, then his grandkids will start to show longer legs.

I would get him a IB hen but just a warning, India Blue hens are actually green! That can cause great confusion at times.

Our peacocks are most noisy when a school bus or semi goes by. But full moons in the summer can BE CRAZY! Our big peacock roosts on the top of the big hay barn and howls at the moon all night... like he's gonna turn into some sort of Gothic monster. ;-)

TY did you ever find a hen?

I haven't found a hen yet! My peacock is so mad at me....I promised him a hen and I didn't hold up my end of the bargain.....LOL He had a gorgeous full train this year too! It has come and gone because he just shed it last week!

I talked with a guy in Arlington, TX who raises peacocks and he was telling me to get mine in August....that people would definitely be more willing to get rid of them then???? He said I could probably get one for $40.00 whereas most of the time they will run $150.00? I don't know...but if I don't get mine one soon.....it's not gonna be pretty....LOL He was really giving my Buff Orpington hen the eyes the other day and had squatted down all the way to the ground so they could rub beaks......I'm serious....LOL He's starting to think he's a chicken!

So, I've got to find one sooner or later! The man up in Arlington was telling me that Peacocks are harder to raise form peachicks.....you need to keep then on wire off of the ground....like in a cage. I didn't quite understand that? Can anybody explain that to me? Do they have a problem being raised on the ground? I guess I need to buy a book on raising peacocks....but I really don't want to raise them....I just want a companion for "Big Bird". He's so lonely. I mean if he breeds with whoever I get for him.....I'm going to take the eggs away and sell them or give them to somebody. I have my hands full with raising my chickens....LOL I just want 1 pair....that's it.

I would get him a IB hen but just a warning, India Blue hens are actually green!  That can cause great confusion at times.   

Our peacocks are most noisy when a school bus or semi goes by.  But full moons in the summer can BE CRAZY!  Our big peacock roosts on the top of the big hay barn and howls at the moon all night... like he's gonna turn into some sort of Gothic monster. ;-)

See.....I'm learning more and more about peacocks.....LOL

Big Bird is rather quiet most of the time......except breeding season....wow! He squawled the whole time......and my husband kept reminding me...."See......that's why I didn't want any!" But, truth be told.....he's crazier for Big Bird than me.....LOL He's always talking to him when he's working out there by him. He keeps telling Big Bird...."We're trying to find you a girlfriend!"

The problem is getting one that is older and getting somebody to sell you one like that. Most everybody wants to sell pairs or little bitty pea chicks! But, looking back....I should have just bought a pea chick and raised it....she would probably be old enough now to put with him....LOL

Back
Top Bottom