Come See Honey! We Have A Peacock in our Yard!

I would get him a IB hen but just a warning, India Blue hens are actually green!  That can cause great confusion at times.   

Our peacocks are most noisy when a school bus or semi goes by.  But full moons in the summer can BE CRAZY!  Our big peacock roosts on the top of the big hay barn and howls at the moon all night... like he's gonna turn into some sort of Gothic monster. ;-)

Big Bird will scream LOUD when something like a coyote comes around.....if he see's it....he makes a different sound and you just know to come running! You know he's scared. He's in a pen that has a top on it and nothing can get to him.......but he still let's us know if anything comes on the property that makes him nervous. And he won't shut up until we come out there.....so he's gotten pretty spoiled to us....LOL

zazouse.....do you have a problem with Coyotes killing any of your peacocks? You probably have LGD's though? I'd love to let him free range....but around here.....somebody might shoot him or the coyotes would get him. He's in a very big pen.....and we are planning on making his pen even bigger than it is now. I know that if you have hens for them they will stay around. Years ago when I bought about 8-10 of them.....we started off with them in a pen when they were young.....then we let the cocks out after about 4 months......they stayed around.....then about 2 months later we let the hens out and let them free range. I had a lot more acreage then and they would fly up in the trees to get away from stuff that scared them.

Never, and they are here, I been seeing a blond colored pair, first time I saw them was a couple months ago and last week one of them came in to try for some chickens ranging in the woods, they did not succeed, dogs were on alert and when the beaner roo gave the call the yote was chased off, they will be back but we never know when , but I have 2 dogs that seem to know when they are in the area cause they will ,be seen laying way out near the edge of the safe zone
]

making rounds with young pups

Little roos like this play a big role in keeping watch for predators they give the alert which send the girls running and flapping and then comes a pack of dogs.

Never, and they are here, I been seeing a blond colored pair, first time I saw them was a couple months ago and last week one of them came in to try for some chickens ranging in the woods, they did not succeed, dogs were on alert and when the beaner roo gave the call the yote was chased off, they will be back but we never know when , but I have 2 dogs that seem to know when they are in the area cause they will ,be seen laying way out near the edge of the safe zone
]

making rounds with young pups

Little roos like this play a big role in keeping watch for predators they give the alert which send the girls running and flapping and then comes a pack of dogs.

He is a beauty!
Thanks for the compliment and WOW....I need to get me an LGD!

Back
Top Bottom