Come See Honey! We Have A Peacock in our Yard!

Wow Bonkers! If he walked from Kansas to Texas....that's something. I don't think he's yours, but he's definitely made himself at home here...LOL
I just love hanging out with him and feeding him fruit and bread! He loves both! He's almost brave enough now to come right next to me. He sees the chickens running all around me, so I think he's figured out that I'm a good person to know when you're a bird...LOL I signal food and water....2 very important things...LOL

Anyway, I hope yours comes home one day! Years ago......I had a male just walk off of my place and never return. It happens. But, I hope yours does return. That's why we want to get him some girlfriends....to give him a strong reason to hang around....LOL

Hey Jobele
I'm giggling because this is precisely how we got started with peafowl many years ago. An IB male appeared out of nowhere and decided to live in our back yard. We named him Big Bird. After 6-8 months, I told my husband that we were supposed to take care of him because he didn't leave during breeding season - he just happily hung out in the back 40 and didn't seem to care if the dogs chased him every now & then. We got Big Bird a barn and a couple of girlfriends and built him a large aviary. Big Bird is around 20 now, handsome as ever. Every day, I thank him for coming here. Enjoy!

I have always wanted one! My grandparents had one and I fell in love with it. When we moved out here that was my first thought, we have to get a peacock! My husband nixed that idea saying they were too loud, but I still long for one...wish one would show up in my yard :)

Thanks Featherhead! I do love him! He is the sweetest guy on the place! I love to look at all his beautiful feathers....it's beathtaking to see them up close like this! That's really funny that we called the birds the same thing "Big Bird"......LOL

Hey Kellie! That's what my husband said too, but now that he's been around the peacock....he realizes that he is totally quiet! I know that he will probably pipe up when breeding season comes, but for the most part you wouldn't know that we had him on the place. The roosters are crowing all the time. But, Big Bird just walks around eating his bugs, feed and fruit and looking around with his majestic stance. Everybody who comes here just loves him! Keep working on your husband. Maybe he'll change his mind!

Yep, the peacock is beautiful!!! I would have tons of critters if I could afford also! I suppose I should find me a handy husband to help w/all the projects that go along w/them critters!!!! The ones we have are healthy & happy tho, :). Oh, except maybe for our lil Pomeranian, 4yrs. He has been odd & quirky for long time now. Vet said the other day that he is most likely psychotic. Ho Hum We love him & now understand him. I am loving all the Orp colors! I can't wait to get mine going. Thank you Jobele Farms!!!

Thanks Roxanna! He's my love.....he's just a big pet! He's starting to get in his new feathers now....can't wait to see what he looks like when they all come in! I'm getting him 2 girlfriends to keep him company!

Okay....more recent pics of my Big Bird! He so wants a girlfriend right now! He's flirting with my chickens!

Mine has 10 hens and he flirts with everything but the geese.
He is beautiful..what part of texas are you in? i live near Orange Texas i can keep an eye out for you a hen if you are close by..

Mine has 10 hens and he flirts with everything but the geese.
He is beautiful..what part of texas are you in? i live near Orange Texas i can keep an eye out for you a hen if you are close by..
Ten hens for one male peafowl is two times more than he can handle -a maximum of five.- 50 % of the eggs won't be fertile .I give my 3 years and older peacock only 4 hens. and he is successful fertilising all the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom