Come with us on a duck walk! I found an old video featuring my drake wearing his harness and leash.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DeckDuck, Aug 18, 2014.

1. DeckDuck

DeckDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    Hi everybody! Last night I was looking through an old external hard drive, and I found a video I made years ago that I thought had been lost forever. I'm really excited to have found it, so I thought I'd share it.

This video was made way back when I was just learning to drive (on private land), and it follows the process of taking my pet drake Casper down to the creek for a swim. He wears his harness and leash for much of it and I thought that might be of interest too. I think that harness and leash came from Nettie: https://www.etsy.com/people/PartyFowl, though she had a different store back then.

[​IMG]

Ah, the good ol' days! Casper's still going strong but we haven't had time to do this very often anymore. He does walk down to the barn with me to help with horse chores though.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    He's so cute! I love him! He looks very friendly!

3. dirtychick

dirtychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    I can't see any one not loving this ! Great music for it too ! Would make a great stress reducer ! [​IMG]

4. DeckDuck

Jan 13, 2013
    Thank you :) I'm glad you both liked it.

Casper is very cute, but don't let that innocent face fool you. He's also quite the little pincher!

5. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    Looks like good exercise!! He's a cute little thing too :)

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

7. tdd2

tdd2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    SEPA, USA
    Excellent!

8. AmandaVirus

AmandaVirus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Aww, that's adorable! I wish my house duck, Misty walked that well on her leash, I have to drag her or let her go where she thinks she wants to go! I'm hoping she'll get the hang of it sooner or later.

9. DeckDuck

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks everybody :)

Quote:
    Oh my goodness Misty is so cute! I just looked at her pictures.

What you're describing is pretty much what Casper is like on a leash, and he's had a lot of practice. So take heart! I think ducks just aren't very good with leashes. I've found that the trick is to point him in a direction that he wants to go or have him follow behind a second person. If he doesn't want to go there isn't much I can do to make him, so I just pick him up when that happens.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That was a great video. Casper is so precious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by