Comfort Food Faves

Pics

Ruralhideaway

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 21, 2017
Upstate NY
So a good chunk of the US is experiencing a nasty winter cold snap. I'm planning to feed my general disgruntlement and chase the chill from barn work with good old fashioned comfort food.

My pullets aren't laying yet so I can't offer egg thoughts tonight.

I'm making chili with ground flank steak and farro since no one here likes beans but me. I add some pureed chipotles for some heat. That'll get sour cream and cheddar on top.

What's your favorite cold weather comfort food?

That's great! Oh I made plenty, could have fed you right up. Chili is an occasion for me when it's cold. Screw my never ending diet I was both plugging and creating holes all day in the wind.

Cornbread might have been good too, I went with tortilla chips and sourdough bread since I had those on hand. Can't move. Food coma threatens but I'm good and warm now!

Any kind of lasagne is a win. I love cooking but don't enjoy making lasagne whyever. So someone will have to make me some!

I've never had Elk. Close to beef? I'm curious.
Elk is very flavorful. It is not too gamey, and it's very lean and more tender than most beef. Unlike deer fat, elk fat doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth. It is very juicy and healthy. I never ever put spices on elk meat- it has a flavour of its own.

Flavor but not gamey. Sounds pretty good. I had a bite of ostrich once, very tasty. Like great beef almost.

Other comfort food favorites for me. Mini ravioli. Not very high brow but so satisfying.

Crocodile and kangaroo are very tasty as well. Emu jerky is pretty good.
Elk or game bird (quail or ruffed grouse) is still my all-time favorite though.

Back
Top Bottom