Comfort Food Faves

Pics

Ruralhideaway

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 21, 2017
Upstate NY
So a good chunk of the US is experiencing a nasty winter cold snap. I'm planning to feed my general disgruntlement and chase the chill from barn work with good old fashioned comfort food.

My pullets aren't laying yet so I can't offer egg thoughts tonight.

I'm making chili with ground flank steak and farro since no one here likes beans but me. I add some pureed chipotles for some heat. That'll get sour cream and cheddar on top.

What's your favorite cold weather comfort food?

:yesss::tongue
PBJ-Triangles-w-fruit-iStock.jpg

Home made Mac and cheese. Mom's meat loaf. I could never make it the way she did, but I can come close enough that it fills the hole. Lasagna. Pot roast or roast pork with all the veggies. Home made baked beans and rolls and coleslaw. Home made pumpkin pie, served warm. Beef stew. Fish chowder. Peanut butter cookie, still warm. Note that all of these meals are a serve it now, and enjoy left overs later types of meals.

It was years ago, but... Doesn't take away the missing. She was an awesome lady, attending a spaghetti supper, batting tennis balls on a Friday, and 3 days later, she died from a blown thoracic aneurysm, IMO due to negligence on the part of hospital docs who would choose to watch an aortic aneurysm that was bleeding into the layers of the aorta, instead of treating it. Our medical system in action. or should that be: Our medical system inaction.

Tonight, I made some Chicken Divan. Topped it with some stuffing and extra cheese. Super easy to put together. The broth I used was on it's third use! Every time I use it, it gets better. I haul a broth bag out of the freezer, cook the chicken in the broth. Then, if I am not going to make soup or some such, i chill the broth, and put it back in the freezer for next time. Each time I use the broth, it gets thicker, and yummier.

Back
Top Bottom