Commercial vs. Fresh Backyard Eggs--Smell

jennyf

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Missouri
Have you all noticed that your fresh eggs from your chickens don't have a noticeable smell when hard boiling, while store bought commercially produced eggs do? Is that just a function of freshness?

I haven't eaten an egg that was over a week old since last fall. Hardboiled one today that came in a meal kit for the dogs (since I'm only eating our fresh ones!!!!) and I noticed it had a really off putting eggy smell. Not bad or anything, just "eggy"....

I really can't remember what commercial eggs taste like. I did buy one of those prepackaged hard boiled eggs a while back for a snack and couldn't even eat it. The smell and taste was just weird, and I thought maybe because it was boiled and packaged, but maybe it was a commercial egg thing.

My MIL buys those pre-packaged HB eggs, and she buys egg beaters, even though I offer her fresh eggs. And I've told her about the better nutrient values of home fresh eggs, but... she can't be bothered to actually cook an egg.
roll.png

My MIL buys those pre-packaged HB eggs, and she buys egg beaters, even though I offer her fresh eggs. And I've told her about the better nutrient values of home fresh eggs, but... she can't be bothered to actually cook an egg.
roll.png

Is it that hard to 1) boil water 2) put in egg 3) peel egg? And who'd pass up free, fresh eggs?

People are weeeeeweiiiirrrdddd. My mother thinks the store bought ones are somehow cleaner and better. She'd rather eat a bug than an egg from one of my chickens. Oh well, more for me and my friends/family that appreciate them!!

It is so much work to fry up or scramble or hard boil an egg or two, that I only do it five days a week. Saturday morning is left over pizza and Sunday is pancakes. :) GC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom