Commercial vs. Fresh Backyard Eggs--Smell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jennyf, Feb 24, 2017.

1. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Have you all noticed that your fresh eggs from your chickens don't have a noticeable smell when hard boiling, while store bought commercially produced eggs do? Is that just a function of freshness?

I haven't eaten an egg that was over a week old since last fall. Hardboiled one today that came in a meal kit for the dogs (since I'm only eating our fresh ones!!!!) and I noticed it had a really off putting eggy smell. Not bad or anything, just "eggy"....

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I really can't remember what commercial eggs taste like. I did buy one of those prepackaged hard boiled eggs a while back for a snack and couldn't even eat it. The smell and taste was just weird, and I thought maybe because it was boiled and packaged, but maybe it was a commercial egg thing.

3. jennyf

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    The texture was gross too, white was much squishier. I am soooooo grateful for my chickens!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My MIL buys those pre-packaged HB eggs, and she buys egg beaters, even though I offer her fresh eggs. And I've told her about the better nutrient values of home fresh eggs, but... she can't be bothered to actually cook an egg. [​IMG]

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Is it that hard to 1) boil water 2) put in egg 3) peel egg? And who'd pass up free, fresh eggs?

6. jennyf

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    People are weeeeeweiiiirrrdddd. My mother thinks the store bought ones are somehow cleaner and better. She'd rather eat a bug than an egg from one of my chickens. Oh well, more for me and my friends/family that appreciate them!!

7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    It is so much work to fry up or scramble or hard boil an egg or two, that I only do it five days a week. Saturday morning is left over pizza and Sunday is pancakes. :) GC

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I got you beat. I have an egg almost every single morning, along with perhaps an english muffin with home made jam, and some home made salsa on the egg. I'm spoiled, I tell you!

9. burkechicken

burkechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2017
    Wisconsin
    I have 2 eggs every morning and then 2 hand boiled for break at 9:30 love it

10. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

I really need a salsa / pico garden. I'm too neglectful with plants though :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by