common problem with Araucana (green eggs) going dark during incubation?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by [email protected], Jan 25, 2012.

1. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    I have 4 Araucana (green eggs) in my hovabator 2 eggs are like 3/4 dark from side to side (darkness goes completely to air sack) and veins are showing in the not so dark spots. my other 2 eggs are completely dark (except the air sack) its only day 11. when i attempted to hatch eggs in a home made incubator they turned a little dark after a couple of days. Is this a common problem with these chickens or am i doing something wrong?[​IMG] my other eggs from my brown eggs look normal.

thanks

2. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    My Araucana eggs go dark fast also, don't worry about it. The ones I worry about are the ones that don't.

Lanae

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I don't have Araucana eggs right now, but I do have some Faverolles that are doing exactly what you are describing.

And to make matters worse, this is my first hatch! Boy did I panic about losing the entire batch! There don't seem to be any candling pictures or charts that indicated a blackout egg at day 7 is normal.

BUT, I did candle last night on day 16, and a little foot kicked out into the lighter space on the egg! So I know for a fact that early blackout eggs don't mean a hatch failure :p Whew what a relief!

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I've hatched a couple batches of EE eggs, which were green/blue, and they were almost impossible to see in. My more olive ones were impossible to candle, so I finally just gave up.

5. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking! the only ones that didn't go really dark I can see veins on. so this might me i have 2 extra eggs! anyone know why they go dark or have any theory's?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by