common problem with Araucana (green eggs) going dark during incubation?

[email protected]

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 4, 2012
Washougal, WA
I have 4 Araucana (green eggs) in my hovabator 2 eggs are like 3/4 dark from side to side (darkness goes completely to air sack) and veins are showing in the not so dark spots. my other 2 eggs are completely dark (except the air sack) its only day 11. when i attempted to hatch eggs in a home made incubator they turned a little dark after a couple of days. Is this a common problem with these chickens or am i doing something wrong?
hu.gif
my other eggs from my brown eggs look normal.

thanks

My Araucana eggs go dark fast also, don't worry about it. The ones I worry about are the ones that don't.

Lanae

I don't have Araucana eggs right now, but I do have some Faverolles that are doing exactly what you are describing.

And to make matters worse, this is my first hatch! Boy did I panic about losing the entire batch! There don't seem to be any candling pictures or charts that indicated a blackout egg at day 7 is normal.

BUT, I did candle last night on day 16, and a little foot kicked out into the lighter space on the egg! So I know for a fact that early blackout eggs don't mean a hatch failure :p Whew what a relief!

I've hatched a couple batches of EE eggs, which were green/blue, and they were almost impossible to see in. My more olive ones were impossible to candle, so I finally just gave up.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking! the only ones that didn't go really dark I can see veins on. so this might me i have 2 extra eggs! anyone know why they go dark or have any theory's?

My Araucana eggs go dark fast also, don't worry about it. The ones I worry about are the ones that don't.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom