"Community" dog- potential friend, or definite for?

I think you need to call local SPCA to get the dog so it can be taken into a shelter and possibly be trained to find a home.

but he's definitely not afraid of me. Seems to be very protective of his territory.
Meaning the yard that is now yours, but used to be his waht 10 years ago? Who has been living there in the 10 years between when his owners left and you arrived?

No. I prefer to just pet relatives dogs... some part of me is afraid of them.
He may feel your fear. That can set them off. Hope he keeps his distance....and his cool.

Meaning the yard that is now yours, but used to be his waht 10 years ago? Who has been living there in the 10 years between when his owners left and you arrived?

He may feel your fear. That can set them off. Hope he keeps his distance....and his cool.

My house was just built this year. Before that it was just woods at a dead end. The neighbor that ended up with him has another dog too. So he runs between them and my nearest neighbors, who are an old couple. He just sits in their yard and barks if I walk by. Probably because he doesn't know me yet.

Do something silly, go sit on the sidewalk in a chair near where barks at you. Sit so your back is too him. Maybe read a book. Allow dog to approach you on his own time. Do not react when he does bump you with the cold nose.

Do something silly, go sit on the sidewalk in a chair near where barks at you. Sit so your back is too him. Maybe read a book. Allow dog to approach you on his own time. Do not react when he does bump you with the cold nose.

You can also offer him some treats! Most dogs are food motivated. You may find that by offering him treats, he'll eventually recognize you as part of his pack and may start protecting you from threats as well. Win-win!

Back
Top Bottom