Companion Alarm Birds?

gtb66

Songster
Jan 3, 2020
North Texas
I was up this morning and noticed a number of small birds flying near the stand of trees around the coop and a question popped into my head…

Is there a bird that is a good alarm against hawks? Example - if Purple Martins are great at keeping hawks away/notifying the chickens, I’d put up a few Purple Martin houses around the coop.

I’ve also read that crows will attack hawks. Has anyone kept crows near their coop?

Thanks.

I was up this morning and noticed a number of small birds flying near the stand of trees around the coop and a question popped into my head…

Is there a bird that is a good alarm against hawks? Example - if Purple Martins are great at keeping hawks away/notifying the chickens, I’d put up a few Purple Martin houses around the coop.

I’ve also read that crows will attack hawks. Has anyone kept crows near their coop?

Thanks.
Crows will also snatch chicks. You don't in general want to encourage any wild birds to come near your flock as they can carry diseases.

Good roosters are great for keeping watch and alarming the flock. Making sure you have good cover can help too.

1. Rooster - Unless you don't want fertilized eggs and crowing.
  2. Guinea Fowl - Though watch for integration issues, and can be pretty chatty.
  3. Geese - Chinese are great watchers, but can be noisy.
  4. Seriema - If you live in a warm/temperate climate, and can locate one I've read they are used to protect livestock and are good alarm ringers.
  5. Game Fowl Hens - Large breed varieties
  6. Turkey Hens - Heritage breeds
  7. Blue Jays, but as noted above with other wild birds, you might not want to be feeding them in the same area as your flock.

Lots of crows where I am. I have multiple feeders for winter birds. Those birds, and I, always know when an aerial predator is around because the crows set up such a racket. Almost feel sorry for the hawk which thought it was going to get an easy small bird meal. The crows are relentless in surrounding it where it perches in the pines, then chase it away.
I don't feed the crows but I do dump out the dusty stuff left over from my ducks feeders well away from the house and coop. They always find that.
Smart birds. They know when garbage day is. No pity for the neighbour who won't invest in a garbage can and ends up cleaning up the ripped open plastic bags and strewn garbage.

We have purple martins that mob hawks for the 6 months they are around. I recommend them for everyone with chickens and they are just fun to have around. They really help during hawk breeding season. Also have plastic crows around the coop

A Northern Harrier has just shown up to nest in the meadow behind my house. It has been here for several years as well so I take it as a sign that spring is near. It is the same size as a crow but with a 42" wing span. There are some interesting aerial battles between the Harriers and the crows throughout the summer.

Interesting, I just had a flock or maybe it should be called a horde of birds land yesterday in my trees. It was deafening. I think the thing with wild birds is near moot if you free range.

I watched mine who are just experiencing the big beautiful world out there follow the Robins around the house.

I did remove the bird feeder. It's bad enough all the sparrows that try to get into my house, I give them 3 acres with trees and brush and yet they still gotta try and get in my house...

Back
Top Bottom